Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Corpus vs Hatteras in June - esp. for foiling

Corpus vs Hatteras in June - esp. for foiling 3 years 11 months ago #1

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Just posted this on iwindsurf, would also love to get input from this forum!! I am working on planning a road trip to get out of Chicago and windsurf as much as possible for a couple of weeks. I will probably hit the road on June 6 and I'm trying to choose between Corpus and Hatteras. I will be bringing my own gear and camping, it looks like there are now campgrounds open in both places.

My main goal is to use my Slingshot foil as much as possible (still learning). I know that the Worldwinds location is pretty good for that (though not with the tallest mast), but there's probably better chance for wind in Hatteras in mid-June. I have been to Corpus many times in April (not this April, due to Covid) so I know the area well. Corpus is 4 hours further - maps shows 16 hours to Rodanthe vs 20 to North Padre Island, and it will be hotter in Corpus.

I have only been to Hatteras once, that was years ago and I only got to sail one day due to lack of wind. As I recall I used a weed fin and it was a little shallower than Corpus, so I am wondering if there are even good spots there for practicing on a foil. Also I suppose there's a chance it could be too windy in Hatteras for a beginning foiler, but I am planning on bring a fin board (or two) as well, so that would not be so terrible.

Any thoughts on which location might make more sense given that my focus will be on foiling? Or maybe even some other location - as long as there is camping available.

Thanks much,
Gerry

Corpus vs Hatteras in June - esp. for foiling 3 years 11 months ago #2

Having been to both places many times, I would go to Hatteras: no question.
1. It's closer
2. Better wind potential
3. More variety of places to sail
4. There's actual civilization right where you sail (BIB is waaaaaay far away from anything, and Worldwinds is closed)

Hatteras campground is in Frisco, and may not be opened due to COVID19. They will not let you just sleep in your car at Canadian Hole either.....

Corpus vs Hatteras in June - esp. for foiling 3 years 11 months ago #3

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Thanks Eric. Been looking at campgrounds a bit further north (Rodanthe and Waves).

If anyone has thoughts about where to foil in Hatteras or even other suggested destinations please let me know. Only criteria are that I really want to camp and keep it to a reasonable two day drive (or less). Checking out Worthington MN, someone on iwindsurf suggested it as a good option.

Corpus vs Hatteras in June - esp. for foiling 3 years 11 months ago #4

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Just booked a campsite in Worthington MN. The campground is right on Okabena Lake, which is where they normally hold a US Nationals windsurfing regatta (and festival) every June - not this year, of course. I spoke to a local windsurfer, he said the odds for wind are good (it was blowing today, unlike Chicago) and the lake is great for foiling. Should be fun.

I'll post a trip report after I get back.
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds