Saturday, May 04, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Advice for GoPro Hero 8

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 5 months ago #1

So I got myself this new toy for a good deal, 100 off discount code plus 60 off for using Amex, have some questions about using it safely and well for wsurfing.

Question 1 has to do with preventing damage and loss. Hero 8 doesn't have replaceable lens protector, there are these stick-on "tempered glass" protectors, I presume these will do short of a whole housing. There is no place to tie a leash anywhere to the cam itself, can loop a line around the mounting area, but if something breaks off the wrong way, leash won't hold the camera.

I'm going to use on helmet, but also got a flymount for boom attachment. Is there anything tricky about using flymount on boom, such as handling in the water to avoid bumping the camera against board?

When you guys post screen shots, are you getting jpgs of your videos, or are you shooting time lapse photos? I notice one can get 12 mp time lapse jpgs, but getting stills off of videos you can get exactly the shot you want.

Not going to do anything too fancy with editing, probably just what iMovie can do for a while. Any advantage to shooting at higher res than 1080p, since I mainly end up watching the videos on my 1080p TV through a hard drive?

What other equipment software is needed for measuring recording speed?

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 5 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
You can find a lot of information here: windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...the-job?limitstart=0
I had my GoPro for a year now and since I’m more of a sceptic kind a person I’ve used it always in a protective watertight case and never left the battery inside the camera when not in use. This could create other issues like water drops left on the camera after switching batteries fogging the case or having to fix the date every time when using the camera. As you said there is no good place to attach a safety leash so I stopped doing it, but imagine something cold be glued on a protective case. The swivel of the Flymount has a tendency to get stuck solid so make sure to open and wash it after every use.

My settings are 1080/30/superview and I think that’s a good balance between quality and battery life. I noticed the camera shoots in 2 formats for compatibility with older devices and setting it to shoot in the new format only freed some space on the memory card. Disabling the wireless connections extends battery life also.

I’m taking my stills from the video clips and to attach the speed and other gauges you have to download the footage in the GoPro Quick application available free for most operating systems . Until the last software update the phones had the advantage to let you watch your clips with the stickers displayed and take screenshots without having to download them first, but that’s not the case anymore unfortunately. The stickers can start acting weird or not displaying at all on the PC app but a restart usually fixes the problem.

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 5 months ago #3

David Mark wrote:
What other equipment software is needed for measuring recording speed?

windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...r-gone?start=12#6180

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 2 months ago #4

i've heard some people prefer the 7 over the 8. my GoPro Session is now at the bottom of the bay somewhere, so need to get a new camera. Anybody have experience with both the 7 & 8 and prefer one over the other?

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 2 months ago #5

If you'd like to replace your Session instead, I have one, perfect, low use, no accessories, $50.

I did buy an 8, no prior experience with 7. People complain about lack of protective lens cover, possible flimsiness of attachment. Unfortunately have not tested it for wsurfing yet. It seems like they really improved the image stabilization, maybe its too good. Attachment points seem firm.

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 2 months ago #6

do you know if that is a Session 4 or Session 5? Does it have the mounting frame? This is my 2nd GoPro that is swimming with the fishes... first one lost in La Ventana. Also had one stolen out of my van.

Advice for GoPro Hero 8 4 years 2 months ago #7

Session 4. Frame has a split in the plastic, another frame with a different connection broke, so thats why I say no accessories, just the cube.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds