Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New (used) board Severne Fox 120

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #1

I decided to get a new board to replace my Fanatic Cross 120 after 12+ years even though it still sails great. I wanted to extend the range a bit more for larger sails (8.0) and I wanted a bit more security to uphaul in dicey conditions when necessary (70 wide versus 64), and I am hoping that the design characteristics of the board (huge V) will still have great performance in some of the 6.0 conditions we get (light wind on shore with shorebreak or long schlog to windline) when you need some extra flotation at the same time as smoothness in big chop.

Most reviews of the board praised its smoothness and chop absorption, along with easy high performance freeriding and jibes. Something I am curious about is statements in the reviews (and a personal note from a dealer) about how freeride/freerace sails are almost necessary for good performance. I haven't personally experienced situation where board/sail compatibility in terms of type of sail has made a difference, although my experience swapping things around is almost nil. I consider all my sails to be freeride sails, although my 6.0 is technically a wave sail (Firelight), it's 5 battens and Hot rates it equally high for onshore wave and free ride. It has decent preset draft, but not like Ezzy of course. Will be curious to see how dacron Superfreak works, which Hot also rates high as a freeride sail but not at all as a freerace.

May be selling my Fanatic Cross soon, for cheap and its a GREAT old board.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #2

Your sails are bump'n'jump/wave sails. The fox is a bump'n'jump board that leans a bit more towards blasting than wave. That is, it is a bit more of a flatwater board than all around fsw type board. Your sails will work fine but won't "unleash" the potential of the board with respect to speed/blasting. If you are looking at using the board with some bigger sails (7-8 ), you will likely end up with a more free-ride/free-race type sail cause that is what is available in that size. A 7- something on the 120 fox should be great. You will also want to look at getting fins as they make almost as much of a difference as a sail (or at least tuning of a sail). For example, you could ride a 7.5 with like a 42cm fin and, if it gets hairy, just drop down to a 38cm fin. The newer boards are super rangey - meaning rangey in that they can handle many sail/fin sizes.

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #3

My 8.0 is 6-batten Hot GPX, pure free ride sail. 7.0 is Hot Superfreak, dacron free-ride can be rigged for decent power but is not a fast racy sail. Stock fin is a racy looking 40 cm fin that I will try with all sizes, seems like big enough for the 8.0. Only other PB fin I currently have around that size is also 40 cm, but more swept back free ride shape, may make the board a bit looser. Only other fin is 32 cm, probably too short and not enough of the fin will be in the water when banking the board for a jibe.

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #4

Get a 36cm and you will be set. Every 4cm is a noticeable and effective difference (40, 36, 32). And the good thing is, powerbox fins are generally cheaper than tuttle (but sometimes harder to find/smaller selection).

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
David, have mercy on me and don’t come to Wolf with that thing please! You’ll blow the doors of my green turtle and ruin my fast rider reputation :angry:
Just joking of course, we have to race some day.

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #6

Looks scary fast in the back and a chop eater in the front. Coupled with your 8.0 Hot GPX you've got yourself a fast light wind weapon. :dry:

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #7

Board passed heavy chop test. Saturday was SSW at Lee Beach, overpowered sailing on a 6.0 with heavy steep chop going out. The board felt as comfortable, but not better, than my old board, in cushioning chop. It flies off of high heavy chop more, I think because it is lighter and the wider shape catches more air. It took almost no effort getting used to, my feet found the straps naturally. There was so much wind could not evaluate early planability, but it sustains the plane very well through lulls. Didn't notice much difference in speed. So the board met my expectations for at least equal performance to my old board at the high wind end.

New (used) board Severne Fox 120 4 years 6 months ago #8

Coming late to that conversation... just to say that your new board looks potent!
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds