Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: How do you carry your stuff?

How do you carry your stuff? 4 years 9 months ago #1

How do you carry your stuff? Our gear is taking a lot of space and as I see my equipment and quiver growing year after year, maybe some of us want to share how they are carrying their stuff?
I wish I had a small commercial van but I don't. So, I usually stuff my car to the brim. After doing this for a few years, this has become somewhat of a science. Here's how I do it...

Packing 3 boards, 4 to 6 sails, 3 booms, 5 masts, one foil, all the accessories and the beer cooler in a 5-seater SUV.

Large Lightwind 159l Falcon on the roof, the rest in the car. Front passenger seats and rear seats folded flat
IMG_7489.jpg

Mast first (with sleeve openings facing out so I can easily slide out the mast without taking the sleeve out), then 115l and 120l on top (upside down pic) (photo fixed by admin)
IMG_7484_fix.jpg

Then Sails and booms on top that unfortunately I have to remove to access the boards
IMG_7486.jpg

Foil, harness, wetsuits and other soft goods on the left (upside down pic) (photo fixed by admin)
IMG_7483_fix.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

The accessory tub conveniently accessible from the left rear door
IMG_7488.jpg

And finally, the beer cooler secretly hidden behind the right passenger door :) (upside down pic) (photo fixed by admin)
IMG_7490_fix.jpg

How do you carry your stuff? 4 years 9 months ago #2

Why, yes! My transport is almost identical to yours. the biggest problem I had a few years ago was finding a vehicle with a completely flat, lay down, front passenger seat. There were very few to select from. My Pontiac Vibe was well suited for same but it had been time to replace the Vibe. I found that the Jeep Cherokee was the perfect fit. Not the Grand Cherokee - It's too high to efficiently access the roof.
Now with the wider boards there is a constant argument between the boards and my shoulders when I'm trying to drive. And of course my wife must find her own transportation because there is no room for her.

How do you carry your stuff? 4 years 9 months ago #3

Dan Hubert wrote:
...the biggest problem I had a few years ago was finding a vehicle with a completely flat, lay down, front passenger seat. ...And of course my wife must find her own transportation because there is no room for her.

Same here: My front seat doesn't entirely recline flat and it's loosing vertical space because of that. The Ford Flex looks like it has tones of space and seats folding flat. As far as my wife, she joined my windsurfing trips a couple of times but has declared the activity view from the beach not that interesting, so at least that problem is out of the way. Ha!

Here's below the commercial van setup of a windsurfer I cannot remember the name in the Chicago area (This was during this year's swap meet in Evanston). And a pic of the cavernous cargo area of the Ford Flex for the sake of it.
IMG_6549.jpg

FordFlexCargo.jpg

How do you carry your stuff? 4 years 9 months ago #4

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
Bug.jpg

How do you carry your stuff? 4 years 9 months ago #5

Coming home from up north in my Subaru a few years back:

muskegon_coming_home.jpg

But when I got my SUP board (10'6") and put it on the roof, I had to remove it to get the back hatch open.
So I switched to the slightly rusty Honda van. Everything fits inside B)

vanload.jpg

Drew

How do you carry your stuff? 4 years 8 months ago #6

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
Transporting equipment

ScreenShot2019-08-05at11114PM_fix.png

ScreenShot2019-08-05at1.29.12PM.png

ScreenShot2019-08-05at1.17.21PM.png

ScreenShot2019-08-05at1.13.50PM.png

ScreenShot2019-08-05at1.08.23PM.png
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds