Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #1

Journey of an old school free board. From north Chicago to Bloomington. I added to it on its long layover on its way to Chris. First, let's get a good look at this puppy.

The Mistral Score 98L (early 2000s)
Length: 257 cm
Width: 58.8 cm
Volume: 98 L
Tail width: 37 cm
Pads: single density
Weight: 15.82 lbs (naked)

The board is in great shape. Long and gunny. Just coming at the tail end of the "no nose" era. Has the characteristic Mistral channels on the deck to add stiffness. But doesn't have the "fold down" Mistral fin screw tail channel.
MistralScore98L005.jpg

Tail width: 37 cm. Power box is farther forward than modern boards. 13.50 cm up from tail.
MistralScore98L007.jpg

It has V throughout. Here it is at the mid.
MistralScore98L010.jpg

V even in front of the mast track
MistralScore98L009.jpg

And V in the tail.
MistralScore98L011.jpg

Progressive rock throughout. No real flat spots. Moderate nose lift.
MistralScore98L015.jpg

A little tail release.
MistralScore98L012.jpg

Comes with its original fin, 27 cm.
MistralScore98L017.jpg

I'm adding to it on its journey

I'm adding 5 free straps I had lying around with life still left in them. Dakine adjustable contour footstraps. One is the wide back one for 3 strap set-up. In 4 strap set-up the back ones are almost touching on the Mistral Score.
MistralScore98L006.jpg

I bought 4 Dakine Twist Control sets (2 per set) for it. Solid, won't tear out or eat into the webbing like "alligator" washers.
dakine_twist_control.jpg

I bought 8 Dakine Anti-Twist washers. Tab fits in the next screw hole over. They won't tear up the pads. 0 twist.
anti_twist_footstrap_spacer.jpg

I bought 1 fin screw rubber washer. So air can't suck down through to the low pressure side of the fin.
fin_bolt_washers.jpg

I'm adding Ady's free fin. RRD Freemove 36 cm (more like a 34 cm from sanding the tip). Will give the board more sail range.
MistralScore98L018.jpg

Solid set-up on its journey to Chris. Chris will have to give an on the water test/review here when he gets a chance.
MistralScore98L002.jpg

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #2

Nice community effort! It takes a village to shred.

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Nice overview Reid, thanks for setting it up and sizing it up. I hope you take it for some rides as well on review day. This will be my first board review, can't wait so see how it feels in the air!

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #4

Despite the vee, I always thought this board rode rough. Maybe putting everything as far back as possible, straps, mast foot, would smoothe things, fin choice might improve the ride.

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
David Mark wrote:
Despite the vee, I always thought this board rode rough.
IMO, it’s probably because of all the volume wasted in the front. My first short board-a Bic Core 160 was 252 cm long and the Score is 257 with only 98 L of volume! You can’t take much volume from the tail and you can cut from width only so much before it becomes to technical to ride, so you have to take it from the middle . Less volume in the standing area combined with moderately cushioned foot pads and you get a hard ride. Exactly the reason why I didn’t like my first board of this category-a 2007 JP FSW 93L 242/60. Too thin in the middle and tail area with skimpy pads contributing to a very harsh ride and a tail sinking too fast for my skills back then. The 86 L Kode I bought after that fellt better in contrast, but with 234/59 measurements it has a meatier rear half and Starboards pads are extremely cushioned on top of that. You wouldn’t guess it by looking at the bottom , on the contrary-the JP had a very complex mix of channels and concaves, while the Kode has only a simple V and looks very flat overall.
By this logic the current crop of short tick stubby boards should have a very soft ride, I presume btw.

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #6

I don't think its just volume distribution. Showing my age and possibly hazy past memories, my first and second short boards were Bic Electric Rock (265 length, 58 wide, 102 vol) and Mistral Screamer (278 length, 56 wide, 102 vol). Lots of volume up front, narrow tails, skimpy pads. These boards had a smooth ride in my recollection, especially the screamer. They were not quick to plane, but very stable off the plane, would fly off chop, but not slap the water on landing. I'd like to try these again to compare to new kit.

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 4 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I agree, it could be many things including hazy memories. We are going to do a comparison for sure , I’m looking forward to it. Reid has a 2009 RRD FSW 95 and I have a 2016 Kode 94-both boards with a very cushioned ride-so it will show right away if there is a big difference. We just need someone with a stubby and it will be like a magazine comparison test :woohoo:

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 1 month ago #8

Kevin from San Francisco here... hope you guys (and girls) don't mind my lurking. I've actually had fun reading some of the topics on here, but this thread got me to register.

The Score was Mistral's freestyle offering. The previous iterations were really popular out here (78, 88, and maybe a bigger version). I think the generation pictured had a ~85l model that I rode quite a bit. My friend rode the ~111 size. Made my first hoss tack on the Score. I'm guessing it's from around 2001 or 2002?

Incredible to see how the dimensions have changed over the years on freestyle boards (and boards in general). Something about this board did indeed give it a harsh ride. Having no real long flat spot probably makes it hard to trim easily and not very directional.

cool story about the collaborative effort to get that board to a new home!

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 1 month ago #9

Welcome, Kevin!. Fire up an avatar. Take your coat off and stay awhile.

Mistral Score: Journey of an old school free board 5 years 1 month ago #10

Thanks, Reid!
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds