Thursday, May 09, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The right gloves for the job

The right gloves for the job 5 years 5 months ago #1

Reid, can you remind me the gloves you were wearing the day I came to Clinton Lake about a month ago? They were baseball batting gloves, right? What brand, model? I remember the palm had some very grippy texture... if you could post a picture? thanks.

The right gloves for the job 5 years 5 months ago #2

The best windsurfing gloves are....football receiver gloves. Every "windsurfing glove" I've ever tried sucked. They don't grip the boom. Your hand slides within them. They shrink and get stiff. They have holes in them after one season.

I've been using football receiver gloves for over 2 seasons now and love them. They have tacky palm material and grip like crazy - even when wet. Made to catch a wet football. Hand doesn't slide within them. I have yet to put a hole in them. They're machine washable. Every major sports brand is in this space. All competing with each other to make their's fit better and work better - more dexterity. Lots of R&D and refinement year after year. Here's a few I like. I have them all in XL size.

First, here's a guy showing a test of the tacky palm material.

gloves_test.jpg

Cutter Rev Pro Solid football receiver gloves.
cutter57.jpg

Cutter Rev Pro football receiver gloves. White and more spandex breathable material on the back of the hand for summer sailing.
cutters-rev-pro-solid-adult-football-receiver-gloves-10.jpg

Under Armour football receiver gloves. Haven't used them yet but I like the fit.

gloves_under-armour_white.jpg

What I've waited years for...

Under Armour ColdGear football receiver gloves. Wind and water can't penetrate. Water can only come in through the cuff. Same tacky palm! I've tested these in 53F water with air temp low 50s. Best grip to warmth ratio I've ever had with any glove or mitten on the water

gloves_cold_gear_front.jpg
gloves_cold_gear.jpg

Here's the cool part, you can go down to your local Dick's Sporting Goods on try these puppies on. They'll have a whole wall of them. Every brand, type and color. So head on down to your Dick's Sporting Goods and dick around, that's where the term comes from.

dicks-sporting-goods.jpg

The right gloves for the job 5 years 5 months ago #3

Awesome Reid. Thanks. I’m going to dick around tomorrow for sure.
...yeah, football, not baseball... what was I thinking?!

The right gloves for the job 3 years 5 months ago #4

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks for the suggestion. What about forearm fatigue? Sounds like you've been using gloves for a while now. If you had forearm fatigue previously, how long did it take you to get over the hump?

C.

The right gloves for the job 3 years 5 months ago #5

I don't have forearm fatigue after getting these gloves. They changed my sailing. When I first got them I had to really think about relaxing my death grip habit and let the gloves do the work. They're that sticky.

The right gloves for the job 3 years 5 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Good to know. I'll have to try a pair!
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds