Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130?

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #1

I am trying to decide between the two for use with my 7.5 Retro to replace my iSonic 122. I have a Blast 100 and I love it but I feel the 130 would be too big. The Bolt 125 seems to be the right size but I have never ridden one. Any thoughts?

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #2

Let's look at the tale of the tape.

Starboard iSonic 122 (2007?)
www.windsurfing.pl/equipment/2486,starboard-isonic-122

Width: 75cm
Volume: 122 L
Length: 231cm
Tail width: ?
Weight: 7.1 kg
Fin: 42cm

Fanatic Blast TXTR 130
www.fanatic.com/product/blast/

Width: 70cm
Volume: 130 L
Length: 233cm
Weight: 7.3 kg
Fin: 42cm

Goya Bolt 125
goyawindsurfing.com/boards/y2017/bolt/

Width: 76cm
Volume: 125 L
Length: 240cm
Weight: 7.0 kg
Fin: 44cm

The Blast 130 is narrower than the Bolt 125. There's a fin size difference too. Don't know the tail widths. How big a board feels comes down to widths. Flatness of rocker and V plays a part too. Something to think about. Greg will have to weigh in on his Bolt 125. He loves it.

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Now you have a dilemma! Boards around 110 L are the widely agreed volume for 7.5/7.8 sail sizes. Thing is you don’t want that volume . Check those reviews and decide for yourself. Go for the wider board if you want early planing and go with the narrower one if you sail very powered and want more control.
www.windsurf.co.uk/test/goya-bolt-125l-2017-test-review/
www.windsurf.co.uk/test/fanatic-blast-lt...0l-2017-test-review/
I would vote for the Bolt- it would plane early and be fast and exciting in the wind range where long lulls and flat water are expected. Go, Bolt!

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #4

My 100 litre Blast handles my 6.5, 5.5, and 5.0, so I just need something for the 7.5 light air days.

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #5

Gary,
Here’s my 2-cents.
Best would be to try both of course. If you are living not too far away from Sheboygan, WI and you want to give it a shot, I’d be glad to let you try my 125 Bolt. You can come over on a windy day and use my rig or take your sail a give it a spin. I sail the Bolt with a 8.5 and a 7.0. Both are perfect sail sized for it and anything in between as well. I tried it with a larger 9.4 and that offered no advantages compared to the 8.5 at that point.

I have not tried the Blast and I purchased the Bolt coming from a freeride 124l SB AtomIQ (81cm wide). The rocker of the Bolt is a lot more flat than the Atom and the V is also less pronounced. This translates in very easy planning capability. A pump or two and off it goes. I always had to work the AtomIQ a lot more and the Bolt has made a difference with my sailing. The Bolt is also way faster and still controls well in the chop and swell up to moderate conditions. So I really like the board and i have no regrets. For a bit of a comparaison, I sailed the SB Futura and the Bolt side by side back in April and I liked the Bolt a lot more. The Futura has too much rocker and doesn’t have the sensation and easy release like the Goya. In terms of ride comfort over longer distances, the Bolt offers no less than my older AtomIQ. And finally, I felt the Bolt was a bit more “alive” under the foot than the Futura.

I don’t know where you sail but again if you are in my area, let me know if you wish to give it a spin!

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #6

Also, have you considered the Fanatic JAG? Ady was talking about it recently. It looks very close to the Bolt in both program and characteristics. If you prefer Fanatics, it might be a closer match to the freerace feel you are looking for. They just announced it and I don't know if it's already available though.
www.fanatic.com/product/jag_ltd/

I also tired the predecessor of the Fanatic JAG a month ago - the Fanatic RAY. I sailed the 112 liter version and I loved the feel and control of that board. So, if they've designed the JAG like the RAY, I'd say that it is probably worth considering as well.

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
11E92F94-C0A5-4AE4-B2B8-C1CC09605D98.jpeg

Mmm I would love me a Jag! Sleek slalom shape, the right proportions-this board speaks to me on every level .

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Got carried away a little bit, typical me. Lets not forget the reason Gary is replacing his ISonics. He is looking for a fast blasting board that will be easier on his joints. So replacing one hardcore slalom board with another just slightly detuned one probably is not a clever idea. If he likes the ride of the Blast why not stay with it ? Looks like a safe bet to me.

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #9

Ady wrote:
Mmm I would love me a Jag! Sleek slalom shape, the right proportions-this board speaks to me on every level .

Go for it! You deserve it! :)

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #10

Thanks for remembering my knees Ady! But I don't really have a problem with the iConic 122, but the wood cracked through the hill last year and it took on some water, so did my 97 for that matter. I am leaning toward the Bolt since I use it in marginal winds sometimes and it should plane easier. I'll let you all know what I think about it. And thanks for the offer to ride it, but I am in the Dallas area.

Goya Bolt 125 or Fanatic Blast 130? 5 years 9 months ago #11

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Bolt but I'm curious to hear what you think once you have a chance to try it in your area.
Good luck and let us know what you end up buying!
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds