Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: First wind surf build.

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #25

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Basically. Some more information about board disasters and repair techniques:
boardlady.com/index.htm
For light cracks I just use JB weld epoxy preventively. At some point the little cracks became so numerous on my big board , despite the protector, that I decided to cover the nose completely with the JB which blended nicely with the boards grey colour.
D9A7CC01-90BA-45AA-9E43-172EFE25A0A8.jpeg

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #26

Doug, did your board come with a board bag or did you get one? A lot of damage can happen on dry land during transportation.

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #27

I came, I planed I got catapulted, I got towed in by lake patrol at the end of the night, lol. All in all I say my first legitimate day was awesome! It was followed by a few videos on how to properly sail upwind.

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #28

Wow. On plane! Now you're really hooked. Bring that stuff up to Clinton sometime. The Windsurfing Instruction forum has lots of vids on many topics... >>> windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/windsurfing-instruction

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #29

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sounds like adventure! Great progress, looks like your BTTW system is paying off! Keep it up, if you’re moving this fast by the end of this season you’ll be cranking carve jibes with planing exit ;)

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #30

Haha, definitely hooked.. It was sensory overload for a little while.. After falling all over for like 30 mins I caught some wind and took off! Right to the other side of the lake. Then proceeded to learn “goofy foot,” although I’m sure that’s not what you call it.. Then I fell for like 30 more minutes and then took off the other way. I was in the zone and lost track of time, next thing I know after noob tacking back and forth all night I had run out of lake. I started swimming back with everything in tow and then Lake patrol showed up. They said. Someone had called in because it looked like I was struggling.lol, I was beat but would have made it back on my own, would have been a little while though!

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #31

Haha balls to the wall until I ran out of lake.

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #32

Awesome Doug! Be careful, this bug bites hard and before you know it you have a garage full of equipment and you're glued to the wind forecasts. But...it's worth it!!

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #33

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey, Doug I’m replying here on your rigging questions to keep it tidy in one place in case you get back to it later .
So , if the batten above the boom protrudes it means the mast is not bending enough in this area. It could be not enough downhaul- check your numbers , mast length + extension. Or it could be a compatibility issue-the bend curve of the mast not matching the sail shape. Can’t say which is it without looking at the rig. You may post pictures of the components and the rig as a whole.
About the boom-the 3 pulleys are for on the fly adjusting system which you obviously don’t have so the right way to lead the line in that case is shown in this picture:

A2369D15-E251-4531-AE19-5643573C53D7.jpeg

Make sure the line loops through the clew twice, once from the low pulley and then from the top left pulley. It starts in the low pulley and finishes in the cleat .

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #34

So not all the pullys are used?

First wind surf build. 5 years 11 months ago #35

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
No, you don’t use the upper right one. Capish?
In fact you don’t even use the pulleys themselves, just the holes around them. Like I said the pulleys are used only in conjunction with on the fly outhaul system like this one:

First wind surf build. 5 years 10 months ago #36

Thanks, works much better now and I’m able to tension the outhaul easier. I had a hell of a weekend, my arms are wet noodles haha. I think my harness lines are a tad short for my seat harness, unless I lower the boom as far as it can go...Needless to say I didn’t use it the whole time this weekend. Definitely ordering a nose protector, I’ve already got a couple tiny hairline cracks.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds