Friday, May 17, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The right GoPro for the job...

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 7 months ago #13

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Contrat on the new GoPro, Ady! Very cool.
I’m using a slightly different setting than Reid because my GoPro 6 (and your 7) can do a few more things that you might find useful. I shot everything in 2.7K (roughly twice 1080P res), at 60fps in superview (wider angle). Why? While I encode (render the video) everything in 1080P, having raw footage twice the definition allows to zoom in up to 200% without loosing definition once encoded at 1080P. I also encode my vids in 30fps (seems like water is a bit less jittery that way) but I shoot raw clips in 60fps to give me the choice to do slow motion up to 50% of normal speed without looking like its missing frames! For super-smooth slowmo, you’ll need to record at an even higher frame rate: reducing the footage speed to 20% will give you a nice and fluid slow motion! Pretty cool! In occasions, you could set on the fly to 120fps but I think your field of view would have to beset to Wide only.
I am not familiar with the GoPro 7 specs but the more you use higher frame rate and higher definition, the bigger the amount of space you’ll need on you micro SD card.

Very true and good points. I'm adding some charts and graphs to get some numbers in front of us to help folks.

The GoPro HERO4 Silver can shoot:

2.7K SuperView at 30 fps.
1080p SuperView at 60 fps (smooth slowmo)

The GoPro still shots in my albums are HERO4 Silver 1080p in SuperView at 24 fps. 1080p SuperView is 1920 X 1440 4:3 squished(not cropped) into 1920 X 1080 16:9.

gopro_4_res.png

The GoPro HERO6 Black and HERO7 Black can shoot:

2.7K SuperView at 60 fps (smooth slowmo)
1080p SuperView at 120 fps (super smooth slowmo)

Greg's GoPro HERO6 Black videos and stills are 2.7K SuperView at 60 fps. 2.7K SuperView is 2704 X 2028 4:3 squished(not cropped) into 2704 X 1520 16:9. It gives him higher resolution, room to zoom and smooth slowmo before rendering his great vids to 1080p. (See pink 2.7K compared to light green 1080p in bottom graph)

gopro_6_res.png

GoPro-HERO6-Black_res.png

Example of 1920 X 1440 4:3 squished(not cropped) into SuperView 16:9
gopro_super_view_1440p.png

GoPro SuperView mode allows me to have my head and the back strap(almost the whole board) in frame with a 5.8 sail boom length, in a 16:9 format
WestSide_8_24_2018_vlcsnap-00036.jpg

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 7 months ago #14

Awesome info. Thank you.

A couple more things:
16:9 is the format that will fill most of anyone's HD TVs.
4:3 is the format that was used on old CRT TVs of the past.

A 16:9 vid on an I-pad won't fill the screen entirely (Black bar top and bottom), while the same vid on an I-phone 6 for example will fill the screen nicely. I think most videos on YouTube are formatted 16:9.

Finally, I've used Superview for the same reason as Reid: it fits a lot of info at close range. However, it's not the best lens setting to shoot afar or landscapes in particular because of the distorted fish-eye effect. I've use the GoPro to shoot everything during vacation trips and in recent instances I've set it to wide at times and most often in linear mode when shooting people which offers a more normal "human" way to see things!

The pic attached is extracted from a video shot in Wide 2.7K. The JPEG is raw and untouched. You can see how the horizon started to distort upward on the edges and how wide the angle is already for landscape footage. And the camera wasn't this far from the subject - maybe about 30-40 yards out max.

Wind2101318.jpg

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 7 months ago #15

Bank shots!: How using MEDIUM and NARROW FOV (field of view) modes for 2.7K and 1080p can get you closer to the action with no loss of resolution. It's not a digital zoom, here's why...

Example: First, here's a 1080p example of how much closer MEDIUM and NARROW FOV (field of view) modes can get you closer to the action.
gopro_narrow.png

Here each are zoomed in so the subject is the same size to check clarity. Look how clear NARROW FOV (field of view) mode is. Here's why...

MEDIUM FOV (field of view) mode shoots in 2.7K and crops to 1080p
NARROW FOV (field of view) mode shoots in 4K and crops to 1080p

gopro_narrow_2.png

Example: GoPro 1080p FOV modes
gopro_narrow_3.png

I don't have an example, but 2.7K MEDIUM FOV (field of view) mode shoots in 4K and crops to 2.7K.

I'll be trying these FOV modes next time I set up a bank shot in the Clinton bridge pool to capture the action.

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 7 months ago #16

Cool. Thanks for the visuals: Makes the theory a lot more digestible! B)

Also, next follow-up topic could be Editing Apps. I'm curious to hear what some of us are using.
I'm self-taught on Adobe Premiere Pro. I use it from time to time at work. This app is powerful but, it doesn't require to be a power user to achieve something descent-looking I think. All it takes is a day practicing on a handful of clips and with the help of free YouTube tutorials...

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #17

Thanks! And it shows why there's not a NARROW FOV mode for 2.7K, only goes down to MEDIUM FOV. To have a NARROW FOV mode for 2.7K the chip would have to have higher than 4K to start with and then crop(mask-off is a better word) a 2.7K rectangle in the center of that even higher res. GoPro RED? :lol:

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #18

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
BFCEC912-486C-4989-9635-731907C1C80E.jpeg

Bought a battery +charger pack which together with the portable charger/jumpstarter that I keep in my car will provide me with next to unlimited charged batteries.

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
349BA9F6-1811-4867-B6D7-C4AD8BD0C318.png

39444F7F-DB83-4CF8-AF2B-CC6B1A70176C.png

They call me Speedy Ady-peak speed 25 mph. And the gps seems to be accurate. Ridiculous :(

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #20

IAdy wrote:
They call me Speedy Ady-peak speed 25 mph. And the gps seems to be accurate. Ridiculous :(

Impressive!
What is the gps device you are using? Do you like it? Anything else worth paying for?

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #21

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Greg from Sheb. wrote:
IAdy wrote:

Impressive!
What is the gps device you are using? Do you like it? Anything else worth paying for?
GoPro 7 Black :) Time to upgrade?!

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #22

Makes me want to upgrade. GPS tracking/speed only devices are a $200 item. GPS built in function started with Hero 5. 5 and 6 have tracking. But I don't know if they have the tracking on a google map like you have on your 7. Nice!

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #23

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
A bunch of useless information, if you ask me, but it’s kinda cool. Btw I just “discovered “ the GoPro Quick player/basic editor for Windows where it seems you can download videos from the camera with the various gps gauges displayed, crop, save and upload to YouTube. The cropping slider in the IPhone app doesn’t work. Unfortunately I wiped clean the memory card, so I can’t rework my YouTube video to add the gauges.
There must have been a good GoPro editor called Studio that can rotate videos and all kinds of stuff, but it’s discontinued. The download is still around from third parties at your own risk.
PS: www.veedyou.com/gopro-video-editing-software/
An article containing a useful collection of editing software/free or paid/ for the more demanding video creators. After a quick look I’ve found the free GoPro Quick player/editor more then capable to satisfy my basic needs for snapshots taking, video rotating , cropping and YouTube uploading.

The right GoPro for the job... 5 years 6 months ago #24

Reid Fillman wrote:
Makes me want to upgrade. GPS tracking/speed only devices are a $200 item. GPS built in function started with Hero 5. 5 and 6 have tracking. But I don't know if they have the tracking on a google map like you have on your 7. Nice!

I never noticed the GPS function on my GoPro 6. I’ll have to research. I was looking for a speed tracker over the past few months but wasn’t anticipating to replace the 6 this fast. I was looking into the Locosys GW-60 - maybe more versatile since it’s a wearable...
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds