Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Looking for quiver recommendations

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #13

Gregory - "soft/easy" ride is somewhat of a relative/comparative term. Original poster is looking for a softer ride than an iSonic (not soft/very active sailing stance required). If the goal is the softest ride out there - it is probably good to go with a wave oriented board or an oldschool board with tons of concaves (but you will sacrifice speed).

However, it is good to know that the pads are on the thin side for the Starship. Starship is more of a traditional bump and jump/all arounder.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #14

+1 to Ady's comment regarding fins. To start, stock fins have definitely improved across all manufacturers. Most stock fins are actually pretty decent now (at least that is my opinion/experience with Starboard and JP). Second, definitely plan on getting at least one extra fin for your board cause it will increase it's range. The wide style boards are very rangey but you can only unlock that full range with the appropriate fin size. It makes sense, the 97L/67cm futura has specs indicating sail range of 4.5 - 7.0. You aren't going to ride the same fin for that range of sail sizes/conditions.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #15

Ok guys, I am going with a Fanatic Blast, I am a big fan of Starboard but I can get 1 2017 Blast for 1500.

I still need to get something for the 5.0 and 4.5 sails.

I sailed Friday on my 97 iSonic with a 5.5, I was limping after the first couple of runs, I hope this Blast is easier on my knee, I think the constant fin pressure may be the problem though.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #16

I'll be interested to read a review. I hope it is easier on your knees. It should definitely be easier/softer than the isonic but it is still a blasting board so it's not the softest riding board ever. There is always a balance.
Sail selection makes a difference too, but I think you said you are riding Retros - which are kind of the same thing ride type as the board (fast and controllable/easy, but not the easiest ride ever).

If you think knees are hurting from fin pressure I'd recommend playing with fin size. Your goal would be to use as small of a fin as possible. Big fin is going to require more pressure. A freeride (more of a swept shape) should help with the overall ride of the board too.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #17

Ok, I ordered the Fanatic Blast, now for a freestyle wave. I like the Kode Freewave, but I hate to pay a lot for a board I will only use a handful of times a year. Big Winds has a Freestyle Wave 93 for $1100, what do you experts think?

By the way, I come to Chicago a couple of times a year for trade show, but unfortunately in November and January. Where do you all sail around Chicago?

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #18

I think you can get a really nice board for $1100 or less. Worldwinds in Corpus Christi has really nice boards from their rental fleet that they sell on line and ship for cheap. Both myself and one other guy who sails in KC have bought Fanatics from them. Big Winds has good deals, as does Windance and iWindsurf classifieds. I think that if you can find a board in good shape built in the past 10-15 years, it'll work just as good as a brand new $2500 board. My FSW is a 2008 RRD 86 litre that I bought off iWindsurf for $800 shipped (about 5 years ago). It sails fantastic, carves great, works for forwards, shove-its, shakas, everything. My high wind board is a 1999 Schuler 77 litre, that I have no plans to replace, even though it's 19 years old. I will not find a better board in that range than this one. I would not get too hung up on getting something "new", because board construction, technology, and shapes have changed maybe....2% over the past 10 years.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #19

Wow Ady, I am from Nevada MO, and most of my family lives in various parts of KC. Where do you sail?

There is a Freestyle Wave JP on Ebay for 250 plus 150 shipping, but it is 85L, the one on Big Winds is 93L. I have a 80L Starboard Acid I think for real high wind, which I seldom see around here.

I also had a custom Basset wave board made in the early 90's probably (and two slalom boards) that I basically gave away after I got the Acid, and I am sorry I did. I don't jump or do tricks and that old board was perfect for me, I assumed I would be better off with the Acid but it takes a lot of wind.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #20

I assume you mean me, and not Ady. I sail Clinton lake (Lawrence, KS) 90% of the time, always on south wind. Other lakes are Pomona, Hillsdale, and Wilson (near Russell, KS). All are great. I've already gotten 8 days in 2018.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #21

Ady wrote:
Bring all the heavy rubber you can find, you need to be well insulated to sail here at that time of the year. I sailed 4 times last November and twice in December.
For sure

IMG_0682.jpg

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #22

Wow, my rule for temps is the water and air temp has to add up to 100 degrees! I would need a lot more "rubber" for up there. It is supposed to blow out of the south tomorrow at 20 to 30.

So, one more question before we put this thread to bed. How far should I drop down from the Fanatic Blast to a freestyle wave board? 93L, 88L, 85L? I will be using 5.0 an 4.5, and I even have a 4.2 Revo.

Thanks again!

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #23

I'm 170, so 94L it is, thanks again!

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #24

Gary Hochstatter wrote:
Wow, my rule for temps is the water and air temp has to add up to 100 degrees! I would need a lot more "rubber" for up there.

Same here! I also discover that 50 water and air is my threshold. Regardless of how much rubber I’d wear, my hands don’t agree to go any lower than that! I’m about 2 hours north of chicago and unfortunately that kind of conditions don’t come before mid-April and won’t last past mid-November. Chicago usually seems to enjoy a slightly longer season.
Cheers!
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds