Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Looking for quiver recommendations

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #1

Hello everybody,

I live in the Dallas area and I ran across your forum and it seems there a lot of well informed windsurfers here so I am going to as what you all think I should do. I am in the process of wondering what to replace my iSonic 97 with as the pounding form the chop has become too much for my knees now that I have reached 60. I love the board however, but I just need something with a softer ride.
Sails: 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, 6.5, and 7.5 Sailworks Retros.
iSonic 97 (want to replace first, just use it with the 5.0, 5.5, 6.5)
iSonic 122 (I like this board but the wood crack through the bottom last year, I repaired it but don't know how long it will last)
Obviously I like to blast out and back, no jumping, I probably am going to get a freewave board for the 4.5 and 5.0.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Gary

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #2

From riders who are into the kind of sailing you're interested in, I hear good things about the JP xCite Ride boards.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #3

Hi - I would recommend going with the "de-tuned" or free race boards. Starboards Futuras are very popular and should suit you well. My brother has the 2017 97L that is 67cm wide. He has ridden iSonics for quite some time and he likes the Futura ride for the smaller board because it is easier to sail (small tail width) when really windy/choppy (he has a bigger iSonic). I have had the same experience riding JP Supersports (the little bit smaller tail makes it easier to ride, but you can still blast with the best of them - I think you only lose out on some early planing when compared to dedicated slalom boards). I think other brands "free race" may be even easier to ride if that is what you are looking for. The "all ride" sounds like a good option from JP (looks like more of a classic bump and jump board and may be right up your alley). I did ride a Naish starship and liked that too (felt like classic bump and jump) but I'm glad I got the JP just cause I prefer the more advanced/looser feeling. Nothing wrong with the starship though (especially for a comfortable ride).

I can also compare my brothers Futura 97L (65cm) to my JP FSW 112L that is 65 wide. Even though there is only 2cm difference in width, the FSW handles chop and rides much easier. In high winds the FSW was waaaay easier to ride even though it is bigger in volume (but the futura felt bigger because of its overall width throughout). So, just gotta keep in mind everything you want to do with your quiver. I think you have the ride idea of a bigger free race/cruising board and a smaller freewave/fsw.

Last note - consider fins/sharing when getting your two boards. It is nice to be able to share, but not necessarily important to everyone. Keep this in mind when mixing/matching boards (even within a brand - Starboard Futura is tuttle, but their freewaves are starbox so no sharing - but you could share if you got JPs or other brand in some casese).

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #4

If you were happy with the I-sonic but want something a bit less challenging/comfortable while keeping top perf in speed, how about a Goya bolt? it comes in 95l and 125l. This should cover your needs.

goyabolt2018.jpg

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #5

I was looking at that and nearly bought a 95 but then the guy at Goya said it wouldn't be greatly different from the iSonic, and the 5.0 sail is outside of it's sweet spot:

In fact, here is what he said:
Sounds like these conditions will lend them selves well to a fun fast board. The thing with the Bolt and same with the iSonic is these are powerful boards, what I mean is they have wide, thick, powerful tails and this is great for speed but will always be hard on the knees. Especially when you add some chop and are using medium sails. The Bolt will be quite a bit smoother than the iSonic and Goya Proton but it still likes to ride on top the water and takes constant drive on your part. The Bolt is however the smoothest board I have used given its top end speed. It is a fast as you can possibly go without getting full on slalom racer. It is just the smaller sails (the 5.0 and 4.5) that I think are not the best fit for that board. But to be honest when it is that windy it would be really nice to have a smaller freewave board. This will give you the control to smooth out the ride and with that much wind it should be plenty fast. Some of the good freewavs out there can get going quite fast with good foot strap poisoning and a nice fast fin. The full on wave boards are made for turning, never intended to be super fast, so it makes sense you do not like it as much. I think a two board quiver could work nicely for you, possibly a 85-95ltr freewave and a 105-115 freerace board should cover all the bases. What do you think? Also how much do you weigh?

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #6

Makes sense. What Ady was suggesting seems fitting your need quite well then. I also own a 2016 SB AtomIQ 124l and I have to say, it is quit comfy and plenty fast to ride on. A 115l performance freeride will probably give you what you are trying to achieve. As far as freewave below 100l, did you took a look at the Goya One?

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #7

Thanks guys, I knew I cam to the right place. I would love to have one of those Starships, any recommendation on whether to get the 90 or 100 for the 4.5 and 5.0 sails?

And I can get a Fanatic Blast at a pretty good price, but I like the idea of the Fox.

Thanks again,
Gary

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #8

Where did you get those graphics Ady?

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #9

Surf a windsurfing magazine from Germany. You can subscribe on line and they'll deliver to your house, but it's about $100/yr (mostly due to shipping) and it really helps if you can read German. Great magazine though.

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #10

Just to be clear Ady, on your first graphic, the softest riding boards are to the left and on the second graphic the fastest boards are to the right?

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #11

I'd love to hear a review of any board you get. Both the Blast and Fox are boards i would be interested in in the future.

Phil McGain has a great blog (in my opinion) and has touched on the Fox a bit. It has been a while since I have checked on his blog though. One of the reasons I like Phil's blog is that his view on gear is very much in line with mine/advanced recreational rider. He is always chasing speed, but favors control/simplicity. And is very honest/upfront in his posts.Doesn't seem to have favoritism towards any manufacturer (even his own MauiSails).

philswindsurfingblog.blogspot.com/search?q=fox

Looking for quiver recommendations 6 years 1 month ago #12

Regarding the 100l Starship, I’ve used mine during the whole season last year and I cannot say it is particularly “comfortable”. The pads are thin compared to SB boards. I love how fast it is, but sailing my 90kg along, I don’t think it’s particularly smooth ride in sever chop for those with sensitive knees!
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds