Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Camera Mounts

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #1

• KM
  • Storm Force
So last year I killed my vintage GoPro (rip) and picked up an Insta360 camera. It takes some truly amazing footage in full 360, but definitely has some flaws. You'll need a serious PC if you want to edit on a big screen, and the app for android is really buggy and difficult to use, so I feel like it's an achievement to get any remotely useful images. The other odd decision is that the mounts are not really conducive to windsurfing, and they lack a place to put a leash withouth adding a massive metal frame. I've tried the armored case, but it's really clumsy and looks like it would want to take a chunk out of your face, plus the Flymount (which is supposed to be great for the mast) doesn't like fitting well on an oval section like the back of a boom.

I've been goofing around with making my own mount, and feel like I'm kind of on the right track. The best images are with a long stick keeping the camera far away, but it needs to be perfectly straight if you want the software to remove the stick. If you are constantly dropping the clew places (water, bottom, beach, parking lot) you also don't want the stick perfectly fixed.

What I'm playing with now is a carbon dowel with a 1/4-20 stud bonded in, and a kiteline leash prussik-hitched around the camera and then taped. This works really well as it doesn't show up on the image (if your tape isn't too thick, not kidding) and it gives you a nice leash point. I use this in other applications, so I wanted to find a way to get the stick onto the boom. I'm trying a BMX flashlight holder clamped to the boom right now, this holds it well, but also lets the mount pivot up if the camera hits the bottom. To keep it down, I've tried a little tool cllip lashed to the boom, which works well until it pops out. So now I'm trying a bungee through the xtra outhaul sheaves on the back of the boom, and it went OK the other day, although naturally the camera missed 95% of the sailing time.

Any thoughts on this?

DSC_5279_2022-07-21.jpg

DSC_5267_2022-07-21.jpg

DSC_5277.jpg

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #2

Wow! Interesting contraption. Can you share samples of the vids you took with it?

An alternative suggestion:
How about using a couple of GoPro Handlebar mounts ( gopro handlebar-seatpost-pole-mount) that can be attached at will onto the boom and using the 2 gopro sliding clips from which you partially shave off the prongs and then drill, screw + epoxy onto your mounting rode?
It would be super-fast to install and remove, secure, and low profile I would have both mounts separated by about 5" center to center so it can be clipped on the extension side of the boom or the grip area if the boom if the extension is at its minimum.

Boommount2.jpg

Boommount1.jpg

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Why mot just using harness mount instead. Quick google gives you a few options-like this one: www.sailvideosystem.com/products/3rdpers...e-windsurf-backplate

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #4

• KM
  • Storm Force
Been thinking about the harness mount, but really like the behind the clew view. Not quite sure I understand how the gopro shoes would work in that application Greg, I'm hoping though to keep the swivel mount as it lets me interchange the carbon dowel between boat and windsurf board.

I will hopefully have some images with the new setup tomorrow!

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #5

• KM
  • Storm Force
So this mount isn't very good, at least not yet.

I like the extra length on the staff, but the swivel mount failed pretty much immediately so it was just the bungee and safety line holding it all together. That actually worked OK on it's own, so I'm thinking about just lashing it in place and seeing how that goes next time. The extra offset behind the clew gives you nice wide images, but the whole thing is pretty wobbly and noisy. The other downside is that even in a place with few weeds, the long stick will for sure grab them, and this was on
a day with no real falling in the water. www.instagram.com/p/CgwdoZTO8YO/

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #6

The angle and shots are nice when the clue of the sail stays relatively stable. Looking forward to the next iteration!

And please, put your feet in the straps! In the vids you are fully planing and having your 2 feet in there would make a world of difference! More stable, less precarious, fully released, and faster... If you catapult a few times while trying to put your foot in the back strap, it is completely normal: You have to learn how to feel for the right timing. Too early, the tail sinks and stop planing. Too late and shifting your weight to the front foot to move your back foot becomes overly precarious. Your body and rig position are right and your board begs you to use your straps! I know it; I was in the same place 6 years ago!

Camera Mounts 1 year 9 months ago #7

• KM
  • Storm Force
Working on it?

Ady and I have been going back and forth on ways to get strapped earlier in the process, as the only way I can get there now is with a lot of wind and deep angle. Plus Monday I set my straps for boots on shore and they fit, but on the water I couldn't jam my foot in, guessing boots get loose and need a bigger strap.

My attack list for next time is: get boom higher initially and make sure it stays, more downwind to start, hang on boom with hands and or harness, rig fwd, and front strap. Similar try for the aft strap.

As for the mount, I think I have something that will work and is a little cleaner. Same clip and bungee aft, but for the fwd attachment just a lashing to the boom. Lets the camera get even further aft, but much less wobble/breakage and still has the breakaway feature.

Camera Mounts 1 year 8 months ago #8

I was watching some sailing videos (18 foot skiffs in Sydney harbor or something) and they had a camera mounted on a little round kite/parachute like thing trailing from a string on the mast. It gave a great angle from behind the boat. I don't see this kind of thing being feasible for hanging off the clew.

Camera Mounts 1 year 8 months ago #9

• KM
  • Storm Force
A drogue cam? That would be cool until I crash and it flies fwd into the back of my head, but does capture the angle I think looks cool.

I redid this with a simple lashing instead and it seems a lot more secure and still keeps the breakaway function, but naturall I haven't had time to sail since a light air day at Wolf last month.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds