Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: I don't like FSW board, so I got...

I don't like FSW board, so I got... 1 year 10 months ago #1

After now 5 years of experimentation with various FSW boards, I found out that I have more fun on Freerace/Slalom boards - even in fairly rough sea conditions. Probably the result of my age and my skill level. If I was 20 years younger and in better physical shape, I'd probably have a different perspective... So, out the FSW boards and in the freerace/slalom stuff.

After searching a while for the perfect board for gusty and bumpy midwest 5.0-7.0 conditions, I decided to locate a Tabou Fifty 115 liter board. Unavailable in the US, I bought one in France and took it back with me on the airplane during my recent trip to visit family and friends. The logistics to bring it back as baggage was a bit iffy but significantly cheaper than the normal freight/shipping option.

Though prior to buying the board from the surf shop in France, I initially bought it from a shop in Poland back in February. They shipped it the usual way. The board arrive at the FedEx warehouse in Memphis within 24 hours of my payment, but they ended up "losing" it after it cleared customs. Unable to locate a 95"x30"x8" package I finally got a refund 3 months later. I won't try to describe the type of experience FedEx reserves for its customers under this kind of circumstances, but I'm sure you can imagine...

Back to the board: The Fifty is a hybrid fin/foil board. You would think a board that does it all is a master of none. On the contrary. According to reviewers, the board is capable beyond expectations. I wanted a fast shape, not too wide (71cm) but with a bit more rocker and deep Vee (for chop and swell riding), outboard slalom straps to power the fin, and cutouts to diminish the wetted surface for speed and performance.

Anyhow, I now have my brand new discounted 2021 Tabou Fifty 115 liter Team Edition (Carbon!). Can't wait to see what it has under the hood!

TabouFifty115Team.jpg

I don't like FSW board, so I got... 1 year 10 months ago #2

Wow, that board looks serious. Bring it down here and we'll race. :dry: :lol:

I don't like FSW board, so I got... 1 year 10 months ago #3

Haha! Yes, good idea. I'll try to get down there before it freezes! ;)

More on that board here:
https://www.windsurf.co.uk/tabou-fifty-125-team-2021-test-review/

I don't like FSW board, so I got... 1 year 10 months ago #4

• Max
slalom board with multiple footstrap options, isnt that just freeride boards?

I don't like FSW board, so I got... 1 year 10 months ago #5

Max wrote:
slalom board with multiple footstrap options, isnt that just freeride boards?

I don't think Tabou is marketing this board as a Slalom board but as a freeride/freerace. What matters to me is that it does what I was expecting regardless of its categorization.
EDIT: My post was essentially referring to my preference for riding boards with outboard straps rather than inboard straps. Outboard straps are usually found on Slalom, Freerace, and some Freeride boards.

I don't like FSW board, so I got... 1 year 10 months ago #6

First couple of sessions with the TabouFifty. Overall, the board is everything I was looking for:
- Cuts through the chop at high speed like I've never experienced before
- Has tones of power
- Rides on the rails
- Points upwind super-easy
- Is super-fast (probably faster than the Goya Bolt. Had normal runs without trying hard to go very fast and this thing puts me over 33mph!)

Other characteristics that will require a few adjustments for me:
- It is harder to get to plane. It needs power but once it's on, it's fast!
- Planing jibe will need to be flawless as it has a tendency to come off the plane easily (like a FSW board! ha!)

No regrets so far!

GH010802_Moment.jpg

GH030801_Moment5.jpg

GH030801_Moment6.jpg

GH030801_Moment9.jpg

GH040801_Moment2.jpg
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds