Thursday, May 09, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Friendly Recommendation: Waterproof Phone Case

Friendly Recommendation: Waterproof Phone Case 1 year 11 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Gale Force
A good safety option, especially if you sail any of the Great Lakes....

I used to carry a marine radio in a nylon Dakine fanny pack while windsurfing. Though the radio was small, it was still kind of bulky. So when I got an Apple watch (without the dedicated phone line), I switched to putting my phone in a waterproof phone pouch like this one by Joto, and then I'd stick that in the fanny pack. (The Apple Watch without the dedicated line only works when the phone is nearby). That combo allowed me to make calls from the water (via my watch or directly from the phone) if I ever got in trouble. Fortunately, I haven't had to make any emergency calls, at least yet, knock on wood!

I recently discovered this nifty waterproof fanny pack by AiRunTech. The advantage over the Joto + Dakine fanny pack is that I no longer need to put the phone in a Joto pouch first -- it can go stright into the new pouch -- and the new pouch dries quicker. Plus, the plastic is supple, the buckle is solid, and in the grey-colored pouch, I can see my phone clearly, AND the plastic is touch sensitive. So it's easy to check e-mails, messages, etc. if you need to. Seems like a good design, with three seals to keep the water out. And not a bad price, given that one order comes with two pouches. I've only had it for a week, but so far, I'm digging it. I buckle it over my harness so that the pouch is on the backside of my harness. That way, it's outta sight and outta mind. Until, of course, I ever need to use it.

So just a friendly recommendation for those who go way the heck out there on the big lakes and are looking for some extra security via a phone. The one thing I don't know yet is how far my T-Mobile phone signal will reach offshore. (Haven't tested that yet.) That said, for REALLY far distances, a marine radio (and a buddy system) is still probably the best option.

Happy and safe sailing to all!

Friendly Recommendation: Waterproof Phone Case 1 year 11 months ago #2

Great find, Chris.
Adding to this safety conversation when sailing Lake Michigan is to take with me an extra length of Dyneema line tucked in the mesh pocket of the pad at the downhaul point of the sail. Just in case the downhaul, the outhaul, the boom clip, or even one of the harness lines breaks. ...Can prove useful for a quick and easy self-rescue back to the beach.
But of course, the best is to replace these lines every other year or more frequently if used a lot.

Friendly Recommendation: Waterproof Phone Case 1 year 11 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks for that smart tip, Greg.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds