Sunday, May 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo!

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 2 years 3 months ago #1

For 2022, I need to replace my old (2018) 8.5 Ezzy Lion. The poor thing had more than 150 sessions in its life and is starting to show signs of weakness. Still has a few hours left but I think it is in a geriatric stage by now. Also, since that is the size I sail the most in a year, this wasn't a completely unnecessary purchase! The only problem is that I didn't only get the 8.5; I also bought a 5.4! That one was probably not absolutely necessary but that;'s a good size to have to sail in 25-30kn days when my 6.0 has become too much of a handful.
I don't know if I will regret it but for once, I departed from Ezzy's and wanted to go for a Goya. I tried a 2019 Mark a couple of years ago in Bonaire and that left a good impression. I rigged the 5.4 in the family room and the profile looks powerful! Part of the decision-making was that I also got attracted by the bright 1980s colors of this year's model: I always wanted to have a pink sail; now that's done! ha!

2022GoyaMark2-8.5.jpg

2022GoyaMark2-5.4rigged.jpg

2022GoyaMark2-5.4.jpg

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 2 years 3 months ago #2

Sponsor change!

Those sails look light, crisp and slippery with that nice monofilm. I feel a new speed record coming on. The colors are in nice contrast compared to other brands for 2022 - they also have an 80s theme, it's just 1980s behind the "Iron Curtain".

Next time we see you at the lake we're expecting a total 80s commitment...

1980s_beach_wear.png

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 2 years 3 months ago #3

Exactly! I'm on it! Our friend Nico has led the way ...I'm gonna ask him to send it my way!

pickwetsuit.jpg

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 2 years 1 month ago #4

My Goya freeride sail (Nexus) is impossible to rig without crinkling the monofilm window due to extreme luff curve and high downhaul tension, but maybe the slightly wider mast sleeve and more x-ply at the luff on Mark 2 might moderate that. I also found the batten pocket cover material a bit fragile and put some dacron tape over the bottom one to prevent the batten from wearing through. Otherwise I like my freeride a lot, adjusting the downhaul doesn't seem to change looseness of the leech at all, but does change the usable outhaul range and thus the wind range of the sail. Cool sails!

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 2 years 1 month ago #5

Agree. The rigging is a bit tricky to avoid crinkling the sailcloth on the 8.5 in particular, but it's doable with minimal "wrinkles"! Just push the mast as far as it can go then pop in the extension and finish driving the mast up with a bit of downhaul. And of course, avoid pushing the mast up by hand through the boom cutout. The downhaul trick will likely put more wear on the luff sleeve due to higher friction but I see this as a lesser problem compared to creases on the monofilm! I heard about covering the tip-end of the mast with a layer of packing tape which is more slippery and offers less resistance against the sleeve.

Otherwise, the Goya Mark 2 is awesome to sail in all aspects No regrets.

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 2 years 1 day ago #6

Pink sail in action!

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 1 year 10 months ago #7

Living room rigging and OBX-sailing on my new 5.4. Enjoy!

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 1 year 10 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Awesome! And now you have a proper size board to go with it too! The deep concaves in the Fifty will come mighty handy in that wind range.

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 1 year 10 months ago #9

• Max
hi greg. i have a question for u, how much do you weight?

I just got myself a 8.5 retro and finally its giving me some power and i almost got to planning in a 12 knot 20 gust day last week. but I weight 200 lbs, im considering getting a 9.5 lion.

also since u had lion before, on ezzy website, they claim that lion can be rigged without cam. Have you ever used lion without cams? If you look at the pictures and videos of lion vs cheetah, they look 100% identical, i am wondering if lion without cam will basically be a cheetah.

Got 2 new Goya Mark 2! Woohoo! 1 year 10 months ago #10

Hi Max!
Compared to an 8.5, a 9.5 Lion will lower your planning threshold by about one knot. ...If your joints can take it! Mine don't any more! I rarely use my 9.4 because it is physically taxing (takes me longer to recover with a session with the 9.4) and I don't get a proportionally better return on effort compared to my 8.5 anymore.
I like the Ezzy lion a lot: Easy to rig, bullet-proof, no fuss, and contrary to what they used to be, not heavier than anything else comparable. The 2022 version of the Lion was revisited more than in previous years and is supposed to be a tad lighter and deliver higher top-end speed.
The advantage of a 2-Cam sail compared to its non-cam twin is that it has a tendency to deliver power more gradually and won't yank you as much in gusty conditions. With the proper technic, they are also efficient pumping sails.
The counterpoint is that the power is always on (but that is more comfortable and predictable when freeriding or blasting back and forth anyway), and they can feel and be a bit heavier to handle.
I never rigged my 2018 lions without cams but you can always ask if Ezzy thinks it's a good idea by sending an email (address on their website). At least you know you can do it if you choose to buy a 2022 version.
Good luck!
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds