Thursday, May 09, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: SOLD! - SURFBENT V2

SOLD! - SURFBENT V2 2 years 7 months ago #1

SOLD

For sale $20 + shipping: Surfbent V2 Board nose protector.
PM me with a zip code for shipping costs.

This device is placed between your board and mast base. It prevents cracking the nose of your board due to mast impact (during a catapult for example).
This version works with ALL bases, including the larger Chinnook base (either 1 or 2 bolts). Mine was used half a dozen times and I haven't used it in months so it needs to go! It has a few scuff marks but is in perfect working order. It comes with a spare indexing key in case you lose one (To use mainly with single bolt bases).
It's yours for $20 plus shipping. New from the store, this item cost $89!
More info on the product here: https://isthmussailboards.com/surfbent-2-pin.html

Surfbent.jpg

cd8def_f4afaa2e18e346e2ab37b4058e4a1c42_mv2.jpg

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #2

Hey Greg, Unfortunate timing on my part. I just bought one of these a week ago to use on an 1998 Seatread avs all star 70 I'm using to learn to foil. I carbon glassed in a deep tuttle box and thought with my time working on the board it would be wise to protect it. What are your thoughts on the surf bent? I've only had one session with it so far. Thanks Wendell G.

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #3

Nice job on the finbox work.

It is a great device but only when riding on a fin, not on the foil. When the device is put to use, it generates cantilevered forces that need to be dissipated. It can when the tail of the board can lift off the water when ridding a fin. It can't on a foil because the front wing creates opposite forces against the water and you risk rig/board separation: Something will have to give and your extension or base will likely be the ones that will.
I would also advise not to use it if you rig with a Duotone PowerXT mast extension. While the Duotone extension is a great product, the plastic part into which the pin slides is not as robust as with a Chinook base. For the same reason as above, if too much force is applied to the extension, it will crack. It did with me on one occasion.

So again, use it to protect a board you rid on a fin, preferably with a tendon base because it will give a little (avoid using with a universal joint mechanical base) and with any extension but not with the Duotone PowerXT.

Now, who wants my Surfbent? Ha! :lol:

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #4

BTW, looks like you're pretty good at glassing and maybe you could attempt to chop off a portion of the nose of your board if you plan to use it ONLY to foil. It looks like it has a severe rocker and would still have enough it you chop 10-12 inches off. Also, the shorter the nose, the less swing weight you'll have to deal with while "flyting" - especially useful when attempting to jibe on the foil.
...Just a thought

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #5

One more thing:

If you want to protect your board while riding a foil I suggest you use an Ion mast/board protector. It softens the blow of the mast. You might have a light crack if the impact is severe but at least it prevents your board nose from destruction!
https://isthmussailboards.com/ion-mast-board-protector.html

And finally, not the most desirable device from an aesthetic point of view, but the Deviator is actually pretty good to use with a foil and doesn't present the issues the Surfbent poses when riding on a foil. I've used the Deviator in pair with the Ion mast/board protector and It's been really good so far.
https://isthmussailboards.com/the-deviator.html

Finally, to complete the whole setup, I recommend using the Chinook Proflex 1-Bolt base. Great to attach and detach the rig to a board on a foil in the water and offers the advantage of added flex/stretch with the addition of the tendon. Been using it since it came out about a year ago and it's been great!
https://isthmussailboards.com/chinook-proflex-1-bolt-us.html

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #6

• Andrew
  • Fresh Breeze
Sent a message to you
Thank you

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #7

Thanks Greg for the great information and providing the links. This has been a fun project and I'm really excited to learn to foil. Its just coming together and have thought about taking some nose off the board. I've only had an opportunity to get it out once but was paying close attention to water lines during touch downs. It might be awhile before i'm confident enough to lose the volume in the nose. The board was picked up cheap locally from a guy who knew nothing about windsurfing. Initially he wanted 280$, I offered 20$, settled on 50$ After getting it home I realized it was shaped by Robert Mulder of Roberts sailboards in Canada and is credited as the first formula board and the first cutaway anti ventilation system. There was a lot of love for these boards in there time. I even exchanged an email with Roberts sailboards and he was kind enough to share his thoughts on the board and my intentions with it.

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 2 years 7 months ago #8

Cool story on that board, Wendell. Have fun experimenting with foiling. I see you have a fairly tall mast on the foil: Way to go! B)

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 1 year 9 months ago #9

• Max
Hi Greg. I have been stalking you online for a while now lol. Following your footstep, I just purchased a brand new 2022 falcon lightwind. Also purchased a 7.5 8.5 9.5 ezzy lions. I am super newbie, I can't plane properly yet. I am very afraid that I will damage the nose of my new falcon. Do you recommend this surfbent device on falcon lightwind?

Thanks!
Max

SURFBENT V2 for sale - $20 1 year 9 months ago #10

Hi Max,
Congrats on your purchase. You've definitely gone all-in with this kit.
I would NOT use the Surfbent at all, period. I'm sure some have used the device happily but if I had to use it again, it would only be on a weightless small wave board and that's it!
Instead, I suggest you install a nose pad protector (out of stock below but do a search and you'll find one somewhere else):
Nose Pad
AND use a mast/board protector:
ion-mast-board-protector
For added protection, you can also use this device, but it can be a bit harsh on your mast extension (I use this only when windfoiling on the Falcon):
Deviator
Good luck on the water and post here to tell us about your progress!

SOLD! - SURFBENT V2 1 year 9 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey Max, sorry for chiming in uninvited. I want to vouch for the ION mast/board protector recommended by Greg. I use one for years with all my kit and I’m very happy with it. In fact I’m going to attach a picture from a session we had once on Wolf together with Greg as evidence ha ha. I used to glue the foam nose protectors on my first boards when I started windsurfing in 2010 but although it might be the best protection of them all , it also tends to look hideous /to me at least/ . When another buddy of mine and former Wolf regular-Brian brought one back from UK I checked for it around , purchased it, removed all the foam from my boards and never looked back. I still keep the nose protectors in case someone wants them.
A9A7C8E6-F21F-4764-BC05-81D1271B67DE.jpeg

SOLD! - SURFBENT V2 1 year 9 months ago #12

• Max
Hi Andy, I actually have one of those. I stopped using it because it was a bit annoy to put it on.. Maybe I should start using it again since now I am started get some speed..

Also, does it interfere with the rotation of Cambers? Since now I am going everything ezzy lion.
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds