Sunday, May 12, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling?

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 4 months ago #1

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
Who has tried Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling & what do you think? The Duotone Echo Foil Wing looks similar to windsurfing with a boom, window and battens.

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 4 months ago #2

I’m foiling on a Starboard 124 Carve 80 cm wide. My skills are currently marginal, now jibing but board hits the water at end of jibe. Super fun especially if your in an area of marginal wind. At my skill level can foil on 8.0 in about 8-10. Looking for a smaller foil specific board. Down the road can see spending more time foiling than windsurfing since you aren’t nearly as affected by change in wind. Have two front wings smaller one is much easier in higher winds. I’m definitely sold on windsurf foiling, wing foiling looks way too inefficient. I would guess the wing foilers may pick up the windsurf foiling in the long run.

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 4 months ago #3

started windsurf foiling in the fall of 2018. not hooked at first using the Fanatic Flow H9 foil... felt like windsurfing with a foil. I didn't really get hooked until I switched to the Slingshot foil (much bigger) and then the sensation of magical flight really caught me. The foil was a great session saver/anti-skunk device. I'd go home to SoCal and be able to windfoil in the winter on small sails while there were maybe one or two regular windsurfers on 8.5s. Also, jibing on a foil in light wind is fun and you can foil out of your jibes full speed once you learn how, even in light air.

i started winging this February, and it's taken over most of my foiling time. If it gets windy, I still go windsurfing. The wing + foil is a really free feeling, and the equipment is so small and maneuverable. My two boards are 5'4" 95l and 5'0" 75l with 4m and 6m wings. One big advantage is that the rig is not attached to the board, so your rig and rig weight don't have to cycle up and down with each pump of the foil.

As far as light wind efficiency goes, the first guys flying here are the race kite foilers, followed by the race windsurf foilers, and then wingers, but the gaps are pretty small.

The Duotone Echo with boom is the most familiar feel to windsurfers. I do not really see or anticipate wingers who are not windsurfers crossing into windsurf foiling... at least not here in SF Bay. Winging is pulling in participants from all over. Windsurfers who I tried to get into windsurf foiling but had no interest all of a sudden want to wing. A lot of wingers here are coming from the kiting side, and some are coming from SUP/surf.

If you guys and gals have any light wind spots (or heavy wind) with windswells, the wing is really fun. Ship/boat wakes are also a revelation. Here in SF Bay, the container ship wakes are king (some guys get 3 mile rides)

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 4 months ago #4

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
That looks so fun! This is a great video also.

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 4 months ago #5

Kevin Kan wrote:
A lot of wingers here are coming from the kiting side...

jeremiah_johnson_nod_of_approval.gif

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 4 months ago #6

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
I'm looking at getting The Duotone Echo Foil Wing sometime in 2021

Windsurf Foiling or Wing Foiling? 3 years 3 months ago #7

Oy, big brit here. app.myutr.com/profiles/2669520?t=1
Let's keep this topic rolling fella windsufas.
Peace.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds