Sunday, May 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lucky day, part failure benign accident

Lucky day, part failure benign accident 3 years 7 months ago #1

So I almost never go to Wolf Lake, but the straight W to WNW and promise of high winds lured me there, where I rigged my rarely used Hotsailsmaui Firelight (bought used in excellent condition with Jace Penebianco stickers) 5.0 for typical gusty Wolf session. I get launched and find that the sail pulley has broken, no downhaul, mast sliding up and down on the extension. After flagging down someone to help, we figure out that its pretty easy to loop my downhaul line through the webbing strap that the sail pulley used, give it some downhaul with single loop, and limp back. Was able to downhaul it to within 3-4 inches of normal, sail back to launch. Very lucky for me for this to have happened at Wolf, thus relatively benign high wind conditions and short distances. Rig would have separated on L Michigan. I order a replacement from Ezzy (24.95) that you can assemble to put through the webbing, rather than scavenging a pulley from an old sail that can't be disassembled (would then have to re-sew webbing). I have never thought to check this part on a sail, but the Hawaii history of this lightly used sail obviously contributed to the failure. Before I dropped the part into the lake I recall seeing some rust spots on it.
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds