Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan?

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #1

• Jake
  • High Wind
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice regarding the best type of board to use for wave riding in Lake Michigan. I'm relatively inexperienced at "proper" wave riding--I've spent most of my time in bump-and-jump conditions in the past. I had a great day last Tuesday with cross on-shore conditions where it was possible to ride both backside and frontside. I'm about 160 lbs and my "big" board is an 84 L FSW. I had it setup with thrusters, but I was still having trouble riding frontside with it. The board just felt too stiff and reluctant to transitions onto the toe-side rail while my feet were in the straps. For most of my frontside turns, I had to pull my back foot out of the straps as if I were initiating a jibe.

I feel like a slightly bigger board would make catching the waves slightly easier--my 84 needs a fairly nicely-shaped wave to stay on the face. I'm worried that a bigger FSW will be too stiff and reluctant to turn, but I'm also concerned that a big ~100L wave board may need waves with more "push" than we typically receive around here.

I'm really interested in working to improve my wave sailing skillset, which, around here, means almost exclusively cross on-shore conditions. I know that many of you have much more experience in the waves than me and it would be great to learn what you feel is the best option for Lake Michigan wave sailing. Let me know what has worked out best for you!

Thanks in advance--and bring on the Fall season!

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #2

• David T
  • High Wind
Post a photo of your fin set up and another of your bootstrap positions.

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #3

• Jake
  • High Wind
Hi David--here are the pics of the setup as I sailed it at Sheboygan last Tuesday. (And I've got my fingers crossed for tomorrow at Two Rivers...)

Center fin is 17.5, thrusters are 11.5

image07.jpeg

image13.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image31.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #4

• David T
  • High Wind
Move your straps back to the most rear inserts, and your mast track position back as well. When you go to initiate the turn, reach further back on the boom with your back hand. Your weight should shift more rearward and over the leward rail than when you jybe. I’d bet you are staying over the board with your weight like you do in a jybe.

Edit : those thrusters are huge. Size down or remove.

3337749B-72BC-4118-BB6E-091D8F884986.jpeg

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #5

Hi Jake,
The biggest challenge you face with your setup is the RRD doesn't really have quite enough rocker to do really aggressive turns compared to a light wind waveboard that is specifically designed for on shore riding. That said the RRD is a GREAT board. (I am a bit biased because I was the importer for RRD for most of the past 14 years until I retired from Isthmus Sailboards) A friend of mine has an older Starboard Surf 89 he used to use on Lake Michigan before he switched to kiting I am sure he would want to part with if you were interested in looking at something more wave oriented for those days without buying a new board.

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #6

• Jake
  • High Wind
David and Gary,

Thank you both for your thoughts!

I was able to get out in Two Rivers on Tuesday and I made most of the adjustments that David had suggested--I moved the straps back and the mast base all the way back. I kept the thrusters in since it was a 6.1 day for me and I wanted at least a chance of staying upwind. The changes definitely helped the board transition to the toe-side rail much more easily! I was having a little trouble staying with the wave after my first or second turn, but I'm sure that had much more to do with poor technique rather than using the wrong gear.

Re. Gary's comment: The RRD FSW has been great for me for bump and jump and all around sailing for me. It's not quite a 1-board quiver, but it's awfully close for me. I size down when it's 4.7 or windier. True wave riding is the only area it seems to be a little bit lacking for me. It's still my preferred tool for 75% of my sessions.

We don't get that many good wave days in a year, so it's sometimes hard for me to tell if I need to adjust my gear, my technique or if's the conditions. (or all three...) Of course, that's what makes windsurfing so fun, eh?

Looking forward to the next day with some decent waves!

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #7

David had a Starboard Evo 92 for sale recently, I wonder if he still has it?

I still ride my Evo 92 (2004) with 5.3 & 5.8 when the waves are good and the water is no too choppy.

It's not a fast board (mainly because it has a lot of rocker) but on waves that rocker is what you want for going DTL.

Maybe David will give you a deal on it ;-)

Drew

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #8

• David T
  • High Wind
Yes. I still have the Evo 92 for sale. Jake you are more than welcome to sail it next windy day that I see you. Txt me and I’ll throw it in the truck for you.

5CB68B46-F4EE-4195-B6E9-B8A6881E274B.jpeg

Best Board: On-Shore Wave-Riding in Lake Michigan? 3 years 7 months ago #9

Hi Jake,

I think trying the Evo 92 and the Starboard Surf 89 makes total sense. Let me know if I can hook you up with the Starboard to try.
Thanks!
Gary
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds