Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Looking for Extra wide 160 l

Looking for Extra wide 160 l 3 years 9 months ago #1

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Went to lake to teach my wife.
I gave her my 135L board. I think the width was 65 cm
She struggled a lot with balance
Jim let us use his 85 cm 165L board, and it was day and night
All that to say:

Does anyone have a 80 ish cm wide board, about 160 L and Not too long (255 cm or less) board?

Looking on the web last night I did not find anything.

Looking for Extra wide 160 l 3 years 9 months ago #2

I can suggest an ideal option (I have one but can't part with it for another year when my kid is out of the house). No longer available as the Bic Nova 165, apparently rebadged as the Techno Windfoil 160. The Bic Nova has a fully padded deck, 165 volume 82cm wide, removable a-base center fin, deep tuttle fin. Reasonable weight at 11 kg. My kid paddles on it, has tried windsurfing with it, and I use it on light wind days such as yesterday where I was full on planing with an 8.0 sail in the straps. Gives me one more notch of low wind capability than the Fox 120 with the 8.0. If your wife can get through the tippy stage without your having to own a big wide, I think Kona 1 is a great option for first board to own. The other pure beginner option is an inflatable paddle board that has center fin and a rear fin and a threaded mast base insert. That might be the cheapest option for new, I bought one from Chinook for less than 700, they don't have them any more. Loopee sells Simmer inflatable. Those will never have good performance, no rails, beginner only.

Looking for Extra wide 160 l 3 years 9 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Hi Sylvain,

I learned just yesterday that a friend of mine may be interested in selling his 2019 9'4" Fanatic Allwave SUP, which has a mast foot insert. It's in great condition. It's 9'4", 33" wide (83 cm), and 173L. This could be a great learning board that could also double as a SUP for you and your family. More info here.

I've previously owned a 9'4" Allwave and now have a 9'0" Allwave. These are very versatile boards and I regularly use mine for:
- flat water paddling
- SUPsurfing, and
- light-wind windsurfing

In fact, my Allwave is now my go-to board for practicing light-wind skills (like heli-tacks, backwind sailing, switch-stance tricks, etc.) Because of its width, it is user friendly, and the nice thing is that it can double as a SUP (both for flat-water and waves.) The one downside is that it the board doesn't have a center-fin. This might be in issue if you're thinking that your wife wants to travel out a distance. But if she is mostly sailing small lakes and/or staying close to shore, I would say that the Allwave provides a great platform for learning. In fact, I took my 10-year old daughter out on Lake Michigan last week, and she was working on the basics with a 1.9 sail and the Allwave.

If you wanted to invest in board with a removable center fin, Exocet windsups (11'8" or 10") are great, versatile boards. These, however, are very difficult to find used.

If you're interested in the 9'4" Allwave, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with my friend.

Chris
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds