Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Slingshot Foil Set up Questions

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #1

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
I have an Slingshot Infiniti 76 foil that I am windfoiling with on a RRD Hi Flight. It has been great so far. I think it is close to this equipment.robertoriccidesigns.com/products/hi-flight-y25-2/

I am thinking about adding a bigger front wing for lighter wind. They make an 84 and an 99.

Can anyone advise on the rear wing set-up. I typically have the back wing set with the wing tips curled upwards,
like this
ScreenShot2020-06-04at11.40.16AM.png

but I see some photos where the back wing is set with tips pointed down (like the front wing).
Like this
ScreenShot2020-06-04at11.39.36AM.png

Can anyone explain when it makes sense to have the back wing pointed down?

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #2

• grant
  • Fresh Breeze
If there are countersinks for the screws, I think that would tell you. Failing that, I think wings up as shown is possibly correct. If it seems remarkably unstable this way (I cant imagine why) flip it. Cant hurt. I have a theory on why this would be correct but someone with firsthand can set us straight here.

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #3

the smaller 42cm rear wing mounts on top of the fuselage with the tips up. the larger 48cm rear wing mounts on the bottom of the fuselage w/ the tips down. mounted correctly, the orange lettering should be on the topside to match the lettering on the front wing.

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #4

Very interesting! I hope Bob B can pith in with opinion.He should have the most info about Slingshot foils.

On that topic - where are you all going to launch from this coming summer? I am still on a fence for Greenwood with all the new "restrictions" they are implementing. As of now - I have gotten a pass for Wilmette. Anyone planning to go there?

Millen

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #5

I'm a Slingshot dealer here in San Francisco, and I use both setups:
-Infinity 76, long fuse, 42cm rear mounted on top with tips up for wind foiling and also on the wing
-Infinity 99, short fuse, 48cm rear. mounted on the bottom with tips down. I use this mostly for winging, although I have wind foiled it once... it was very slow but some of that is possibly the big rear wing.

Most windfoilers will want the small rear wing and long fuselage and long mast with the Infinity 76 (B Position) and 84 (C Position). B/C can depend on your board, for Wizards, 76B and 84C are recommended. I have not used the 99 with Wizard.

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #6

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #7

Millen Peev wrote:
On that topic - where are you all going to launch from this coming summer? I am still on a fence for Greenwood with all the new "restrictions" they are implementing. As of now - I have gotten a pass for Wilmette. Anyone planning to go there?

If don’t mind 2h drive, you could try Sheboygan, Wi or lake Winnebago, Wi. Both places have no restrictions. Sheboygan has large sandy beach to launch from with clear but cold water (50ish at the moment) and Winnebago has warm waters but the launch is through slippery stairs or tiny beach area. Both places are open and unrestricted with easy parking and plenty of space for rigging.

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #8

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Thanks Kevin.

What is the length of the short fuselage? Is that a must if you are just starting out Winging?

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #9

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
I sail out of the Sailing beach at Gilson, in Wilmette, but you need to have a beach pass to get in and with Covid they are not selling extra guess passes. It is a better Hobie sail spot as the beach kind of has a little cove so wind is never that clean unless you sail way out or if we get a good N, NE, E, or SE. Tend to get a lot of lighter days with a lot of W.

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #10

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Does anyone have tips on best way to set up a leash in case the foil breaks loose?

Please post if you've found a good option since know one wants to loose a foil.

Here are the reason I've heard....

a) foil box failure from sailing on a windsurf board not built with a reenforced foil box. (I had this happen to me personally but was lucky to find foil since I was only in 5 ft of water)
b) assembled with wrong screw set that were actually too short, so foil came off since not enough threads (I found the assembly to be a little confusing because my foil came with screw sets of various lengths and it was easy to confuse a couple sizes. (I think this happened to the guy in the youtube video below).

If you don't believe me watch this video at 4 minute 3 seconds and you will see it happen.

In this particular case the foil floated but most of the time they sink and hence I've heard it makes sense to tether the foil in some way. I know they sell these adhesive loops that you can tie a downhaul strap to or potentially heavy grade fishing line to the foil and then the foot strap.

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #11

Thanks Greg,

I will go to Wilmette this summer. We did get the pass. As of last week, NOBODY seemed to be able to tell me, on the beach, where exactly I can launch from. There is a total misconception what boards we use, mixed with the need (or not) of storing equipment there. The most common theme was that we can launch from "South Beach" there. Again, I have no idea if the SUP and windsurfing launching places are the same or not. Planning to be there this Sunday with both :).

Millen

Slingshot Foil Set up Questions 3 years 10 months ago #12

Greg S wrote:
Thanks Kevin.

What is the length of the short fuselage? Is that a must if you are just starting out Winging?

The short fuselage is called the Shift Fuse and is 61cm (A & B mounting positions)

The long fuselage is call the Switch Fuse and is 78cm (A, B, & C mounting positions)

The short fuselage comes standard on the Slingshot kite, SUP, and surf foil packages. The long fuselage comes standard on their windsurf foil package.

For winging, slingshot recommends the FSUP package, which has the Infinity 84 front wing, 48cm rear wing, 71cm mast, and short fuselage. However there are plenty of people here winging on 91cm masts, long fuselages, and small rear wings. The longer fuselage is better for stability, the shorter fuselage is better for pumping and turning, the big rear wing helps balance out the really big front wings and makes the setup more lift, the smaller rear stabilizer yields a more stable ride at higher speeds. Most people seem to use the small rear stabilizer with the long fuselage for winging.

So many options... it's very confusing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds