Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: How to Rebuild a PowerXT 2.0

How to Rebuild a PowerXT 2.0 4 years 1 day ago #1

I recently busted my North Sail/Duotone PowerXT 2.0 extension while foiling. The extension is quite robust and I don't think this would happen to many people but, I thought I'd share how to replace these parts as there are very few info online on how to fix this. In particular, the parts replacement kit you get from Duotone doesn't come with instructions and the guys at Duotone won't provide assembly diagrams of their product (I asked but no success). This was particularly annoying, as I had not paid attention during disassembly, and parts went flying around the garage not knowing where they came from!. :pinch: In particular, there are 2 different micro springs that have a specific installation location on the extension and that can easily be mistaken. So, here is a quick how to in case that can help someone.

Here's my busted extension. The green part (the insert) is what had broken.
PowerXTFixSeq2-00.jpg

DISASSEMBLE THE BROKEN PARTS
1 - Replacement kit cost about $18. Comes with all the necessary hardware. Order through the Duotone Website.
2 - Release-Button must be removed before the green Insert can be disassembled.
3 - Using a small flat head screwdriver driven inside the slot at the base of the green insert (the one on the side of the release-button), then push hard until the Release-Button pops out. This might require a bit of persuasion: I had to use a small hammer to gently - but firmly - tap on the screwdriver until the button popped out. This doesn't feel right and the fear of breaking something is there. However, it is virtually impossible to break the button mechanism before it pops out.
4 - Pull the whole button assembly and save for reassembly later.
5 & 6 - Then use a Philips head screwdriver to remove all 3 screws and with the small flat head screwdriver, gently pry out the green insert out of the extension. It should slide out relatively easily, but a few parts will fall and may fly out. Make sure no small parts are still inside the extension before proceeding to next step.
PowerXTFixSeq2-01.jpg

INSTALLING THE RATCHET SPRING & PIN
7 - There are 2 small springs in the kit. Use the larger one to install with the ratchet pin.
8 - I used a kitchen skewer to help driving the spring to its final location. There is a noticeable groove aligned with the ratchet wheel of the extension. This is where the spring must go.
9 - Carefully slide the spring in place and nudge it down until it can't go further down the cavity. It's important to keep the extension steady so to not dislodge the spring from its location or this whole thing can become very frustrating. :lol:
10 - Pick up the L-shape ratchet pin.
11 - Insert the small end of the "L" first, exactly where the spring went earlier. The trick here is to help the tip of the pin to pass over the spring by "wrapping" the pin around the ratchet wheel in a curved motion as the pin is pushed in. This might require a bit of patience as the tip of the pin can snag on the wheel before it settles in its resting position. Not difficult, but might require a bit of gentle fiddling of the ratchet pin.
12 - When in the right position, the long end of the ratchet pin is resting on the plastic housing of the extension and if you push on the tip of the pin, you'll notice that it is slightly springy: That's the spring doing its work and the assurance that this was put back the way it was intended!
PowerXTFixSeq2-02.jpg

INSTALLING THE GREEN PLASTIC INSERT
13 - The Insert comes with a bit of clear tape over a pre-assembled spring and Z-shaped pin. Make sure the tape is removed before installing this part. Then pick up the last small loose spring that came with the kit.
14 - Place the spring over a small plastic pin on the green insert. Then pick up the flat metal clip.
15 - Insert the metal clip in the corresponding slot above the spring.
16 - While holding the flat metal clip and spring in place, slide the green Insert inside the extension.
17 - Everything should slide nicely and fit snug in the extension.
18 - Finally, fasten the Insert to the extension with the 3 screws provided
PowerXTFixSeq2-03.jpg

RE-INSTALLING THE RELEASE BUTTON
19 - Pick up the release button that was saved earlier and present in front of the hole in the correct orientation (Can only go one way)
20 - Press-fit the button in place by pushing all the way until a click is heard.
21 - Test the button; it should press and come back flush to the extension housing and voila! Done.
PowerXTFixSeq2-04.jpg

This shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes at most. For $18 + shipping, it saved a $150 extension from hitting the garbage can! B)

How to Rebuild a PowerXT 2.0 4 years 1 day ago #2

I applaud your thorough explanation.

How to Rebuild a PowerXT 2.0 3 years 11 months ago #3

Thanks Del. :)

I tested the repaired extension yesterday and it works! :woohoo:

How to Rebuild a PowerXT 2.0 3 years 11 months ago #4

Nice job. Availability of reasonably priced replacement part is probably a good signal to have a spare.

How to Rebuild a PowerXT 2.0 3 years 11 months ago #5

Thanks for posting this. I have two of these that need rebuilding. They work great at times but not when the lines are not straight vertical.

The race sails I am running require various levels of downhaul and the xt won't supply on sails over an 7.7 for me w/o busting. My sails ranging from 9.8 to 11.8 require so much downhaul I pretty much stripped the xt inside trying to get the downhaul even close to where it needs to be.

My 20-year old downhaul crank is still being used to get the right downhaul on those.

Hope to make it up north to sail w/ your crew. Favorite place for me is Carlyle Lake which has great wind pretty much to myself most days.
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds