Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #37

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The best boards for intermediates to progress on, period! I’m sure she’ll start loving it the first time she takes it out. It comes at the right time for her. I wish I had mine after the Bic 160D instead of the slalom board I went straight for. I hope she takes the time to pad the nose asap, there will be a lot of catapulting initially I’m afraid :ohmy:

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #38

Yes! that's what I told her dad: She doesn't want to spend time with repairs and to progress she needs to go sail without the back of the mind constantly hindered by fear of denting or cracking the board. She is 16-17 I think and I bet in a couple of years if she stick to it, she'll be flying like no one out-there!

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #39

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Good to see young people starting to windsurf, it’s refreshing. We have a 19 year old boy coming to Wolf this year. I believed for a while that they are only interested in kiting now. I hope they chose windsurfing for the right reasons and not because it looks easier then kiting.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #40

Maybe he can do both! Ben at WindPower in Fond du Lac, WI is doing both wind and kite indifferently!
To that matter, when I was in SF a month ago, one of the owner of Boardsports California was going out on a windsurf towards the end of the day during the three days I was there. I asked her if she also kite, and she replied that she used to a lot but less now as she prefers windsurfing for more sensation. She kites occasionally for testing the gear she sells but she added not being a big fan of the "showy" aspect of kiteboarding... So here is one that made the move in the unexpected direction. Maybe a sign?

Where I sail, I've met a fair amount of older guys that were windsurfers a few years ago and that switched to kiteboard because they couldn't handle the physically demanding/taxing aspect of the sport. Anyhow, I was told that my friend's daughter made her first trip on the Atom yesterday and she liked it a lot! She mentioned needing some practice to perfect her waterstart but I think we have one young windsurfer hooked for life! :)

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #41

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
I've met a fair amount of older guys that were windsurfers a few years ago and that switched to kiteboard because they couldn't handle the physically demanding/taxing aspect of the sport.

if_it_were_easy_2018-07-05.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #42

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
the owner of Boardsports California was going out on a windsurf.... as she prefers windsurfing for more sensation.

I was just talking to someone about this, I took 5 days of kite lessons in Aruba last July and came back enjoying windsurfing even more. The instant feedback and demands of the rig is intoxicating. I was on a small kite in 30 mph winds and the delay you feel with 60' of line is very frustrating for a windsurfer. Getting pulled into the air by your harness was pretty fun and I can see where people new to either sport would get satisfaction from kiting but this old dog doesn't want to learn a new trick :P

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #43

Almost live feed: Sat. Jul. 7. Sheb. South beach. White caps. Just need the wet suit and go! Woohoo!
I have a feeling that the lightwind kit will be too big...

5A1B44F5-99A2-4D1F-93F2-842D58EF8699.jpeg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #44

We're watching you.

It's coming up fast.
sheb_7_07_2018.png

Semi Live!
sheb_7_07_2018.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #45

Yep ! That’s where I am. But just a bit south of where the webcam pints at. Been out for awhile now practicing my port side jibe.
Don’t want to rub it on but the day is absolutely gorgeous. The water is super warm. Still some whit caps but the wind seemed to have come down a tad. Still plenty though. I’m going back out! B)

7CE131D3-6AD6-4E27-8471-AF9514D26B59.jpeg

CED468CC-35A1-4559-BD9F-424BE629315E.jpeg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #46

Great time on the water today. From what I was told, tomorrow looks the same or better. Let’s hope it holds true.

995C6A5B-3E13-4648-A1A4-3EA51814F0BC.jpeg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #47

Forecast looks better. Kicking off around noon. A bit on the gusty side but the afternoon thermal is on the menu! :woohoo:

7BD7B30A-A3A2-4AAA-BA94-7C1A6C4A8B13.jpeg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2018 5 years 9 months ago #48

Rich Guttschow wrote:
...I took 5 days of kite lessons in Aruba last July and came back enjoying windsurfing even more. ...but this old dog doesn't want to learn a new trick :P

Same here! Far away from considering a switch to Kiteboarding, I’m not at all “ready” to try it yet! ...subconsciously, I’m might be afraid I might like it! Ha!
Also, for the majority of the year, being the lonely Windsurfer on my home spot amongst all the Kites makes it a bit more special I guess. Hopefully, sooner than later, my friend’s daughter will soon have a car of her own, gain a little more autonomy and will pack her windsurfing stuff to join the fun with us all!
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds