Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: This weekend 9/03/22

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 7 months ago #13

Guille wrote:
I did Waukegan yesterday. Winds were around 14kts with some gusts to 20.
My first time on fresh water and in Lake Michigan with the Gecko and the Nexus 5.9, went pretty well. B)

Way to go, Guille!

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 7 months ago #14

Correction: It wasn't Chris in that Sheboygan cam screen grab. He couldn't make it up there. It was somebody else with what looks like a blue Ezzy. Greg will have to fill us in on the day.

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 7 months ago #15

I was actually up there that day, forgot my GoPro helmet mount, first time ever in Sheboygan. Had a lot of fun on a 6.0 with Excocet Cross, was waiting for Greg to show pics. Maybe 20 kiters, 10 wsfers, 10 wingers, actually seemed crowded, I usually never have to check before jibing. On that day, very strong downwind current, shorebreak that looks intimidating but actually very benign, and somewhat gusty on/off wind that was nevertheless really fun. Water is COLD up there, air temps moderate mid 60's but I'm glad I wore the 5/4/3.

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 7 months ago #16

That was a busy day in Sheboygan. The parking was full and indeed the bay had a lot of traffic. For once, I wasn't the only windsurfer around: That was cool to see David made the trip up here. But we were only 6 windsurfers for an army of Kiters. I can't remember all the names but there was, of course, David from North Chicago, Jake from Milwaukee, Billy from Appleton, Jon from Madison (Isthmus Sailboard), and a couple more. The swell was not excessively big but it was clean and especially closer to the jetty, it was wrapping around with minimal chop. One of my best days on the water this year. I jumped the good old Goya Bolt a dozen times and got a couple of scares as the drop behind the swell was a lot deeper than I anticipated - one of which ended up over the handlebars right in front of Jake who could witness the slap! It started a bit soft so I was riding 7.2. Then the wind pick up and by the time I was done with my break and rigging the 6.0, everything got powered the right way for my 7.2 again, so that's what I muscled throughout the day.

A few stats: I managed a couple of speed runs of a few hundred yards in the swell and chop with a top speed of 33.59MPH MAX, a 2S average of 32.67MPH, and 100M top speed of 31.57MPH. Never been this fast in such conditions. And I sailed a total of almost 29 miles that afternoon. A day I'll remember when I'll be craving a good session next winter! Unfortunately, I didn't think of taking a group picture of all the windsurfers that day and only had a few with some in the frame of the camera...

A few pics here and more here: 9/3/22 Album

Oh yeah!
GH010882_Moment2.jpg

Riding with my friend Jeff - ex-windsurfer :(
GH020883_Moment5.jpg

Tight crossing with Billy
GH040883_Moment.jpg

Not sure the image will be sharp enough but there's Billy doing a high jump in the background on the right side of the frame
GH050883_Moment.jpg

Rounding that turn at the bottom of that wave
GH030883_Moment.jpg

Looks like this ended up in tears, but not that one: A downward push of the back foot and the landing was saved!
GH030882_Moment2.jpg

Busy day
20220903SheboyganNE.jpg
Attachments:

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 6 months ago #17

Here's a short vid of that day.
https://youtu.be/ctOj8r1m4yU

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 6 months ago #18

• KM
  • Storm Force
Awesome video, some of those jumps look like skiiing when you realize the drop goes on a bit more than you thought! Really like your clean editing on those, thanks especially for not having 30 second intros.

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 6 months ago #19

Thanks! Yes, those little chop hops are fun to do. I clearly chickened out at the last second in a couple - the last one ending up in the drink in a fairly violent way. It's hard to see in the video but in a few, the swell was higher than my height and it's only when I'm halfway up the swell that I realize how deep the trough is behind. That's when the brain enters conservation mode and the non-commital emergency button is activated which results in some messed-up air. But I'm slowly suppressing the urge to bail every time I'm out and trying!
At times, I've been tempted to try a forward on my 109-liter but I'm afraid I'd lose a knee or some teeth if I ever do that. So I'm working on my speeding stance which still needs some improvements!

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 6 months ago #20

• KM
  • Storm Force
Good inspiration to keep trying! I've attempted one chop hop; it was immediately after getting going in both straps and feeling overconfident. Just kind of wallowed over the wave out of sorts.

Friday through Monday looks excellent, probably doing Silver or Wolf Fri and Mon depending on the angles.

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 6 months ago #21

KM, I have seen your instagram videos and you are 100% capable of sailing Lake Michigan on S directions that have flat water 15-25 knots which are uphaulable conditions. The water is only going to get colder after this warm spell. Lee St is safe, close to wind, 3 beaches north for safety, walkable shallows between beaches except for breakwalls. There should be plenty of people out sailing out of Greenwood.

This weekend 9/03/22 1 year 6 months ago #22

• KM
  • Storm Force
I'm committed to silver tomorrow meeting a pal to sail there, if Monday works for Evanston and people are going I'll give it a shot!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds