Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Little Sable Point 8/08/20

Little Sable Point 8/08/20 3 years 8 months ago #1

Da Pointe is looking good for tomorrow (Aug 8)

If you go to the Lighthouse, there's a beach. None at the creek.

I'll be on my SuperFreak sails (orange or red/white).

Drew

Little Sable Point 8/08/20 3 years 8 months ago #2

LSP is a 200 mile (one way) drive for me, so I always try to make the trip count... make sure all the forecasts agree that it will blow. Saturday (Aug 8th) I arrived at the county park early so I would be assured a spot. The wind was slightly offshore and puffy. By noon I was out on my 5.8 & JP FSW 102, blasting across the water (considering the 5.3 in the gusts). I was expecting to see a few other sailors out but I was still alone. I worked my way upwind to the lighthouse and buzzed back and forth for a while, and I could see my buddies (you know who you are!) watching me. Figured I'd have some company soon, but nothing... WTH??? Get your asses out here guys!!! It's great!
There was a big storm building to the north and thunder had been rumbling for a while, but I started seeing lightning so I headed back on a series of wild reaches to the county park. As I came ashore, another guy (Mike) was just headed out. He got some good runs but the wind was backing off and the lightning was getting closer. He came in and we sat and watched the storm for a bit then decided we better get our butts out of there. We got our gear packed into our cars and the sky opened up and it frigging POURED. This is not good because the LSP wind machine needs hot dry sand dunes to really make it blow. I was a little bummed about only getting 2 hours on the water, but it was a good two hours!
I didn't really want to give up and go home yet, so I headed down to the north side of the pier at Montague (White Lake). This spot can have beautiful waves on a south day. Turns this beach was just south of the rain, and it was nice and sunny there. The wind (~12 mph) was almost perfect sideshore, it was just a tiny bit offshore... and there beautiful clean waves rolling through the smooth water on the lee of the pier. I grabbed the 10'6" SUP and my 5.8 and had a ball riding those sweeties. Before long there were three surfers out there with me, but nobody else!
And then... the wind quickly picked up to 20-24 knots, still very slightly offshore. As my daughter says, "Yeet!" I grabbed the JP 102 out of the van and got about an hour of the most awesome conditions I've had on Lake Michigan since my first time in 1979. The waves kept rolling in, and even got bigger. Still clean because of the pier and the wind direction. Reaching along the pier I could go insanely fast and hit the waves at the end and get launched. Then tear them up on the way back in. Just had to jibe before getting too close to shore where there was no wind. And no other windsurfers, no kites, no kayaks, no jet skis. Just me and those 3 surfers having the most amazing time on the greatest playground. About 6pm it suddenly shutdown and soonafter the waves disappeared as well.

Incredible day. Tired and sore for the long ride home but smiling all the way :)

Little Sable Point 8/08/20 3 years 8 months ago #3

Wow, you catch some awesome days. Reminds me of that day you caught at Muskegon a couple of years ago with a north wind.

White River Light
White_River_Light_8_08_2020.png

Muskegon
Muskegon_8_08_2020.png

Seems to be the best days on Lake Michigan are the slight side-off days at breakwalls - Tiscornia on a SW, St. Joe on a NNE. If you can catch'em.

I broke off your awesome day into its own topic so folks can find it.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds