Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lake Winnebago Sunday - May 3rd

Lake Winnebago Sunday - May 3rd 3 years 11 months ago #1

Howdy,
Forecast is looking solid for Lake Winnebago tomorrow and I’m thinking of making the trek from Evanston. Wind forecasted WNW @ 20-30. What’s the best launch given the forecast? I’ve never sailed Lake Winnebago before - anything I should know? Anyone else planning to sail there tomorrow?
Cheers,
Coleman

Lake Winnebago Sunday - May 3rd 3 years 11 months ago #2

I will be there tomorrow. Either at the first or second spot below. Welcome to WI!
BTW, I found the forecast has been widely over-estimating the wind strength lately. Today was ok but nothing memorable and hopefully tomorrow looks better but who knows?!
If it blows nicely, be ready for choppy conditions. Short, steep chop. I got use to it but it can be annoying if you mostly sail Lake Michigan chop and swell.

Roosevelt Park in Taycheedah, WI is a good spot for launch on a NW. Will be busy with kites and windsurf. Plenty of grass for rigging. In and out the water through a set of concrete stairs. Not too dicey but not the best. Very popular spot nonetheless.
Near 7351 Winnebago Dr, Fond du Lac, WI 54935
goo.gl/maps/DoXSZ9TXN6xN1SVS9

Deadwood Point 2 miles north from Roosevelt Park. Small beach and minimal parking space but I’ve never had issues to find a spot. Grassy rigging, easy in and out the water.
Near Taycheedah, WI
goo.gl/maps/fXHZvdGs3n7HQjeD9

In Pipe, WI. Boat ramp for a launch but nice rigging area. Best to sail there with someone.
Near County Rd W, Malone, WI 53049
goo.gl/maps/96HuAH7TfYcT3MdK8

Lake Winnebago Sunday - May 3rd 3 years 11 months ago #3

Boom! It's right on you guys.

Current Wind, 2:00 pm
ScreenShot2020-05-03at2.50.59PM.png

Lake Winnebago Sunday - May 3rd 3 years 11 months ago #4

Reid Fillman wrote:
Boom! It's right on you guys.
Current Wind, 2:00 pm

Yeah, it was powered but super-gusty with holes everywhere. It was challenging all day with our rigging options... warm, sunny and in good company nonetheless (nice groupe of Chicago Windsurfers made the trip).
Made for a nice Sunday anyway.
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds