Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #13

I'm backtracking a few sessions since this week was a bit calm.

3 TIMES MORE FUN

Only a few sessions here and there let you sail 3 different types of gear the same day. May 25th on Lake Michigan in Sheboygan was one of those days. It all started with the Falcon Lightwind 159l and the 9.8 NP V8. Then the wind picked-up a bit and was perfect for the Bolt 125l and the trusted Lion 8.5. And finally, the wind coming down again, the foil on the Falcon and the 8.5 was the perfect way to finish the day.

The other 2 windsurfers in-town: Paul and Ella on their large gear joining the fun.
PaulElla.jpg

Fred is a kiteboarder that used to be a windsurfer (if I remember!). Always fun to see him and sail with him whether on Lake Michigan or Winnebago. We often try to catch each other. When there's wind, he will be the last to fold and go home. A true waterman.
FunWithFredcopy.jpg

That day, bands of thick fog were rolling in and out of the area and made sailing eerie and spooky. Then suddenly a hole in the sky and time for an engaged jibe.
Falcon_Fog.jpg

Falcon_Jibe.jpg

Switching for the Bolt and sailing with Paul, Ella and my friend Jeff on the kite.
FunWithGoya125copy.jpg

Moving to foiling. The fog adds another dimension to the silent foiling experience. Trying both foot in straps on the Starboard tack and clocking 12 to 20mph which feel already fast-enough to me.
Foil_Funcopy.jpg

GregFromShebFoiling.jpg

What happen when two inexperience wing and wind-foilers head for each other? The guy on the wing has priority (starboard tack) but jibes right in front of me. :angry:
This looks quite far on the picture but that the GoPro Superview effect. It was a lot closer than it seems. I ended up pulling hard upwind; foil breaching followed by an inevitable crash. Conversations remained civilized. B)
Foil_Collision.jpg

Uncomfortable contortionist moment.
Foiling_Uncomfortable.jpg

Cheers!
GregFromSheb.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #14

Great stuff!

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Cheers!
GregFromSheb.jpg

Once while sailing around the world, he discovered a short cut.
If he were to pat you on the back, you would list it on your resume.
He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels.
If opportunity knocks, and he's not home, opportunity waits.
He lives vicariously through himself.

He is the most interesting man in Sheboygan. "Stay jones'n my friends."

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #15

Reid Fillman wrote:
"Stay jones'n my friends."

Completely stoked!

FOILING IN STRAPS
Monday, June 8. Sheboygan. A pleasant SE thermal wind 10-13kn on the foil to start with. Now my 5th session on the tall 90cm foil mast. This is making a huge difference in reducing breaching and crashes. Before, I was dead after 20 minutes and breathing heavily like I had smoked a full pack. Didn't got a catastrophic crash in a while now. Things starts to be more comfortable and familiar. Muscle memory kicks-in. Practice time on the water, I tell you! One thing though, both foot in the straps makes a big difference for control, this is a must do. Next: Attempting jibes. Tried a few and failed.
For those wondering if foiling is worth it, I'd say yes. A different sport but definitely worth the time and money - as long as you are committed to go through ups and downs regardless. ...And it's not as easy as "they" tell you.

No more ridding with the back foot crushing the back strap! Now both tacks in the straps! B)
Footstrap20200608.jpg

The advantage of both feet in the straps is that when the foil breaches and then the nose dive, being one with the board helps to stay on it and possibly recover! That and longer mast length are the 2 things that are considerably reducing my time in the drink!
Survived20200608.jpg

Attempting a jibe. That one failed like the others. Just scared and I abort... That's the next frontier.
FoilJibeAttempt20200608.jpg

Finishing the day with a bit of speed
Zoom20200608.jpg

Ninja moves to scare the Kites!
NinjaMove20200608.jpg

See: He's about to breach and crash! ;)
HelloFriend.jpg

Jibe20200608.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #16

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Sounds like great progress!
What size sail were you using for the foiling?

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #17

On that day I was on an 8.5 2-cams. I could have used my 7.0 as well but got lazy and didn't feel like rigging again.

I actually recently noticed that the 8.5 doesn't provide that much more advantage compared to the 7.0 in the low-end. In fact, the 8.5 additional amount of power is offset by the weight and bulk of the rig when pumping the kit onto the foil. I found that the 7.0 almost gets me on the foil at about the same wind speed because it weighs less and I can pump it more energetically. I also used the 6.0 with the foil in something like 15-17kn. That was quite nice too! Last Saturday, I tried something new as well: I went out on the foil in 9-13kn with the 7.0 and tried to ride a 2 foot residual swell: Great practice to train anticipation skills and "altitude" adjustments!

I also discovered that riding up the swell is a lot more relaxed and forgiving than riding down the swell: Ridding down, the board picks up speed past the crest of the swell and has a tendency to go up, thus increasing the chance for breaching. The difference in height between the top and the bottom of the swell is emphasizing the chance of breaching as well. I noticed some improvements when I "read' the water and anticipate more actively the changes in water elevation.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #18

TACO-TUESDAY, JIBE-THURSDAY

Thursday, June 11. Winnebago. Ahead of a cold front, sailing in gusty, sunny, rainy and finally stormy conditions. This was a SB Kode 109 + 6.0 kind of day. Overpower at times and completely underpowered between squalls.

I wasn't paying attention and suddenly a small storm cell with a few lightening strikes came sneaking up on us. I didn't took a chance and came to the nearest shore and found cover under a boat sitting off the water on a pontoon/cradle and waited for it to pass. Not sure that was a safer place to stay but there wasn't too many alternative choices anyway. At least my mast wasn't pointing upward to the heavens!

I made a bunch of back and forth and while my jibes are better than they were, I'm still loosing too much speed upon exiting - a bit slow flipping the sail I feel. I don't know if the pics below are telling anything but if anyone notice something I do wrong, just let me know!

Port tack
Jibe120200611.jpg

Starboard tack
Jibe220200611.jpg

Too laid-back?
JibeLaidback20200611.jpg

A bit more engaged?
JibeAgressive0120200611.jpg

Bend those knees, Telemark skiing style?
JibeTelemark.jpg

A little kick to celebrate an other good day on planet Earth!
Jump20200611.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 10 months ago #19

GOOD THINGS COMES IN THREES

The last 3 sessions where foiling ones. The wind, on June 13, 18 and 19 was very light but, I'm enjoying foiling more and more and I needed to go on the water anyway. I think I got to "fly" in about 7-9kn at best. Luckily, SSE wind near shore on South Beach in Sheboygan is usually a tad stronger so I can pump it on the foil, but not always that easy on the return runs.

My foiling setup is super-heavy and I wonder if a lighter kit would help reduce the amount of energy required to pump and lift the whole thing up on the foil. Does anyone know if the weight of a kit has any adverse effect on the drag?

My Flacon Lightwind board is right around 9-10kg with the straps. My Slingshot F-Wind foil is 7kg, including aluminum fuselage and 90cm mast, wings and milled aluminum PowerPlate (my board doesn't have a foil-ready fin box). I've recently held a Horue all-carbon windfoil and the thing has to be a 1/4 of the weight of my foil. Just going in and out the water with something this light would prove to be a real joy!
My 125l Goya Bolt is 7.5kg and has a foil-ready finbox. I'm thinking to give this a try which might cut something like 5-6lb off the kit (no PowerPlate needed and switch for the lighter Deeptuttle insert).

From upright stance...
Upright.jpg

...to relying more on harness and edging the board leeward. More stable and faster ride.
21mph20200619.jpg

Beautiful end of day at the beach.
ReturnRun.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 9 months ago #20

WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN?

It has been 10 long, hot and wind-less days since my last session and the Falcon finbox bust. So, in times of desperation, a puff of air is enough to draw me to the water like elephants to the waterhole.

So, on July 6 and 7 we had a light thermal for a couple of hours in the day. Very marginal wind at 8-11kn for the most part with a few brief moment of slightly stronger gusts.

Since I didn't get to repair the Falcon, my next choice for foiling was the 125l Goya Bolt - my prized possession! Despite the fact it has a foil-ready finbox, I've avoided putting the foil on for fear of damaging the board that so far, I kept intact for the 3rd season now. But, the calling was stronger and I had to give it a shot.

And what a surprise: Super-easy to pump on the foil, to control in flight, and very comfortable to stand on. Maybe hard to believe to some, but to me it is just a LOT better to foil on the 125l Bolt than with the 159l Falcon. I don't know if it is because the Bolt is significantly lighter (7.3kg/9kg), it has less surface dragging on the water and has less width and swing weight at the front. ...Or because I shed weight by switching to the deep Tuttle attachment only (no more PowerPlate/4-bolt bracket) but frankly, unless you plan on competing in the PWA foil races, I see no good reason to buy a dedicated foilboard if you already have a floaty, light and foil-ready finbox board. These 2 sessions were true eye-openers! I would even argue that a multi-use short 120l-140l freeride/freerace board is all you need to span foil and fin lightwind sailing from 9kn to 18kn of wind! My 2018 125l Bolt is just perfect for that. Loading the car got a lot simpler.

The cherry on top of the cake was Lake Michigan water temp close to 80 degrees! Shorts and rash-guard sailing! Awesome!

First time foiling the Bolt! :)
20200706_FoilingLightwind.jpg

20200706_GoyaFoiling1.jpg

Jibe attempts - ended in the water but in my book trying is progress!
20200706_FoilingJibe.jpg

Tried foiling high over the sandbar. Not smart but shortens the swim back to shore.
20200706_FoilingSandbar.jpg

The true magic carpet
20200705_FoilingMagic.jpg

20200706_FoilingUnderwater.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 9 months ago #21

BOOM!

I take great care of my equipment! I know, it is hard to believe when looking at the stuff I've broken so far this year. Latest casualty: my boom. Great session today but ended up in tears with my expensive 180-246 Pro1 Carbon Boom exploding at the boom clip during a run. Besides the 30 minute self rescue to shore, the day was a fun ...but expensive!

The Chinook boom was 4 years old and was rigged on my Ezzy Lyon 8.5 for those interested in the details. I'm checking with Chinook to see what they say.

Obviously, the Lyon ate the Chinook; just like it should! ;)

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

0719-BoomBreak_04.jpg

0719-BoomBreak_07.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 9 months ago #22

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Another foil casualty :unsure:

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 9 months ago #23

Ady wrote:
Another foil casualty :unsure:

Ha! Not quite. This time it was on the fin! I have to admit that the 8.5 in wind gusts between 17kn and 23kn was a bit excessive and might have put a bit more stress to the boom than designed for, don't know. ...Maybe that's what I get for being lazy and not rigging smaller. ;)

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2020 3 years 9 months ago #24

Quick question that is totally irrelevant to your equipment adventures but relevant to your documentation of it, how do you attach your Gopro to your boom, and what perspective settings are you using (eg wide, superview)? Is there any risk to the board hitting the Gopro, and any tethering mechanism you use? Enjoying (not enjoying but empathizing with) your latest experiences.
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds