Thursday, May 16, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lake Clinton, 7/18

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #1

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
It looks promising for Thursday afternoon, does it not?

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #2

I'm planning on getting to Clinton by 3.

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #3

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
I’m second guessing myself. Not sure there is enough even for my 6.8m2???
Are you still thinking there is enough

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #4

If it gives us a few 20 mph gusts, you'd get some rides. I'm thinking I will be on my Kona with the 8.5.

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #5

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Rich I don’t think I will come today

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #6

It was downgraded over night :( . I don't think you'll miss anything

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sylvain wrote:
Not sure there is enough even for my 6.8m2???
Biggest sail 6.8?!! Are you from Bonaire or something? You need a “French” sail Monsieur Sylvain-7.5 or bigger! You have some big shoes to fill , those of Antoine Albeau and Delphine Cousin among many others great French slalom and speed sailors. ;)
Otherwise the weather sucks. I’m scratching my head to risk and go sailing after the rain stops or to wait until Saturday, who knows what happens until then.

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #8

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Ah ah Ady. I still remember 20 years ago when I was all skinny and scrawny. I bought my first wetsuit, and the guy at the shop could not find something tight enough for my height. I told him I needed to build muscles..., he replied:” not everybody is Robby Naish”.
Now here we go again... I m no Antoine Albariño either

With all that said, I have been reluctant buying a 7.5 or 8 because it means new mast and new boom as well..,
We will see
Right now I’m looking for a 4.0 for high wind but mostly for my wife, kids, and friends who would be learning
Amazing how my 4.7 seems gigantic to them all in 8 knots wind

On s different note, my wife bought s ripstick. This is fun, does anyone own one? Did they find it useful to get their windsurfing/surfing skills improved

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Curious why you are spelling Albarino -like the white wine -instead of Albeau / en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Albeau /? Is it a text corrector casualty, mockery or something else?
Anyway, I firmly believe that a sail/rig and a board for the moderate winds in between 10 and 25 mph is a worthwhile investment, this is my most used kit every year consistently and it takes me through the summer and winter doldrums. A 7.5 Ezzy Infinity was my first good sail and I learned to plane in the straps with it. I replaced it with a 7.4 Ka Koyote and finally my current 7.5 Sailworks Retro . Honestly those have been my all time favorite sails and I can go without any of the other sizes but not without the 7.5. I started taking records of my session since 2013-after replacing the Infinity-and for comparison Ive used the 7.5 and 7.4 combined 100 times vs 4.2 9 times only! People who favour manoeuvre and jumping type sailing like Chris and Reid would probably disagree, but I like any kind of sailing and blasting as fast as I can topped with smooth wide planing jibes in the relatively flat water when the wind is moderate still gives me a great joy and satisfaction after 9 years since I started windsurfing.
Another consideration is that 4.2 or 4.0 is still too big to teach an absolute beginner with-you need something in the low 3.0s for adults, smaller for kids and it’s no secret that relatives don’t make good teachers on top of that. Better leave the teaching to real windsurfing instructors, while on vacation for example.
My favourite past and present babes: Infinity 7.5; Koyote 7.4 and Retro 7.5
0015E685-12C4-4917-BD35-8F3DAC503043.jpeg

The count difference is staggering-this is the Midwest after all
005E355E-8E24-4994-A084-D3BEC35A4BDB.jpeg

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #10

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
For Albeau it was an auto correct
For sail size: wow.... are you a salesman. That s a pretty compelling story
For teaching
- I bought the 2.5 and 3.0 m2 kid kit
- I feel like I need a 4.0 for adult or transition from 3.0 ridiculous kit to something better
As far as me being a bad fit being a relative... how sadly true. It sounds like you are volunteering to take over which is very generous ;)

Lake Clinton, 7/18 4 years 9 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I’m a terrible salesman actually, one of those that buy expensive and sell cheap. This is just my own true story. I have to warn you though-it won’t be cheap. The big size makes the system more sensitive and you can easily loose a lot of performance if the components don’t match. The sail needs to be 7 batten freerace type. Those with less battens that a marketed as freemove, manoeuvre, etc. have a narrow range and get overpowered early-you don’t want a rig that you have to fight in every strong gust, you want that power to get transformed into speed.
Then you need a high carbon content , stiff enough mast for a spine that can hold and support the sail. It’s beneficial if the sail has cambers , because they’ll bend the mast and help with the batten rotation when underpowered.
Last but not least you want to save as much weight as possible, because at this size things start to feel heavy, meaning a carbon boom is highly recommended.
You can imagine how high the tab can grow so you’ll probably will have to upgrade painfully slow peace by peace like me.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds