Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Lake Clinton, April 7 2019

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #13

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Ady, I’m going to pass too

Feels like better days are coming soon

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #14

They're trying to bring it back a little. 2 hour window for late afternoon.

Clinton Lake
Clinton_04_07_2019_3.png

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
You guys are too quick to quit :( Remember:
8C16D024-8099-4F21-B661-78D566B2FDC6.jpeg

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #16

:lol:

But if I wait for Thursday I won't have to change my boom setting(4.2) for the 4th session in a row.

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #17

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
If the Bloomington windmills are turning my 7.5 John Deere will be churning B)

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #18

Clinton Lake water temp, at its coldest spot (west side), is now 56 F and still climbing. :woohoo:

Clinton_lake_water_temp_4_07_2019.png

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
F029B02E-EBD4-4DED-A975-2F49F85822D0.jpeg

You missed on a very good day, guys. Especially Sylvain missed very good conditions for jibe practice. I did mostly that-working on my laydowns and I believe I improved some or at least started to understand where things go wrong and how to fix that. We had a blast me and Mike from Bloomington, whom I met for the first time and the 3 hrs or so intensive sailing left me completely exhausted. I started around one o’clock while it was still light and wisely didn’t waste much time before making my way to the narrows where the squeezed wind had a punch . Took a break around 2:30 and should have foreseen that the wind is picking up and rig the 6.5, but I didn’t and then I had to slim down the 7.5 as much as I can to withstand the 30 mph gusts. The stiff Nolimitz Sumo mast that I bought this winter was rock solid and couldn’t get overpowered and distort the sail even in the strongest gusts, very happy with it. I came out after 4:30 I think when some rain showers chased away the wind and made for a tough downwind home run, but the rainbow that they created over the forest was incredible. Great day, Im glad I made the trip.

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #20

Cool! Glad you caught the window. Nice flat water on either side of The Narrows with the boosted wind. Drop some pics in this thread.

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #21

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It was flat on the far/west side only, on the inside-heavy chop and swell. That’s just the way I wanted -diverse-makes for a better practice. I’ll post some pictures later, I could only check the clip with the front mounted camera. I’m surprised I got something from it, because the cam was getting in my way in transitions and I bumped it a few times. You can bet my head is out of the picture for half of the time after adjusting on the fly. The rest are top and back mounted camera clips. I took a few shots of Mike with the Nikon , but haven’t checked it yet.

70AD8299-299D-43F4-A4ED-37D6B360E968.jpeg

And some video:
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/videos/71...t/video/229-untitled

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #22

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Pictures of Mike and his 8.5 Gator/135 Mistral ...(corrections might be needed) that I took while he was coming in for a break.

0708547F-6A33-4FA2-B18D-CF39CA7D6C91.jpeg

36E21698-6FA4-4EC1-839F-D7DE11166E44.jpeg

E7C6940C-0AC5-43FD-992F-33FE94448F9B.jpeg

Lake Clinton, April 7 2019 5 years 1 month ago #23

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey Mike, if you read this, nice meeting you! I didn’t want to appear too intrusive, but I noticed something odd about the setup of your rig and the pictures seem to confirm it-your sail appears straight like a drum membrane. There is not a single crease anywhere to be seen, which is unusual in a modern sail, especially a big one. In contrast you can spot the floppy leach of my sail in the 3rd picture. A tight leach like in your sail is a clear sign of inadequate downhaul tension which is a big NO in a modern sail regardless of conditions. People sometimes believe that under-downhauled sail has more power and will help them plane earlier in lighter winds, but in fact it is counterproductive. It hinders the board from planing by being top heavy and pushing the board nose down slowing it in the process.
Another oddity that came to my attention while looking at the pictures is that it appears that you have your boom attached to the lower clew hole of the sail which is a setting for very powered conditions and in fact I switched to that hole on my sail late when the wind picked up a lot. Sometimes pictures and first impressions can be wrong, but your struggle to plane a little bit kinda confirms my suspicions. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my sail looks very different /the picture below/ in its light wind setting so I couldn’t help but notice how different yours looks.

5E54450A-D998-4534-9E6A-302EBA347513.jpeg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds