Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE?

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Anyone thinking wherever is doing to be good, be it KS, IA, or wherever put it out there. 5-6 hours striking distance. Share it.

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #2

Hey Chris! The models are not in 100% agreement, but it looks like it will be windy in KC on Sunday, but windy at Clinton lake, Illinois on Monday. The ECWMF & ICON models (the two I like best) seem to agree on this, but NWS has yet to post a forecast more than about 15-25 mph for Sunday. I'll probably sail Smithville lake at Crows Creek, shelter #9 (it's a friggin' maze getting there: use GPS for SURE), but it's a really nice launch and there will be a bunch of friendly kiters there as well. Costs $6 to get in to the park at self pay station.
So, you could drive 5 hrs to KC and sail Sunday, then drive 5 hrs back and sail Clinton on Monday.

SundayFunday.jpg

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #3

Welcome to Nebraska! :woohoo:

Sunday 8/06/23 Euro gust forecast.
NEEurogust.png

Calamus Lake, NE. 8/06/23 Euro gust forecast. 5+ miles of fetch, 3/4 mile across.
lakeeurogust.png

Calamus Lake, NE, Street View, on the dam looking NW. 50+ deep.
streetview.png

Calamus Lake, NE camping. Look at those jibe coves on the west side.
camping.png

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #4

The only problem with Calamus and McConeghey Lakes are that they are SOOOOOOOO far away. Calamus is 5 hrs from KC and big McC is 7 hrs away....that's alot of driving for one afternoon of wind, especially if it's gonna be windy at my local spot. Both those lakes are basically in the sand hills, so just sandy beach everywhere.
I'm still trying to decide which local lake is gonna get the best wind tomorrow: Hillsdale, Pomona, or Smithville. Thinking Smithville has the best to offer, but it costs $6/day, the others are part of my yearly KS parks pass, so, effectively free.

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #5

How about Tuttle Creek Lake, KS. :woohoo:

8/06/23 Tuttle Creek Lake,KS Euro gust model. Turns tits-on NW after 3:00pm. 12+ miles of fetch, 1+ mile across. 50 foot deep.
tuttlecreeklake.png

Tuttle Creek Lake, KS. Looks like a few launches on the east side near the dam.
tuttlecreeklakecamping.png

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #6

I've only sailed Tuttle Creek once (about 30 yrs ago), but it can be really good. The problem with Tuttle Creek is where to launch. It's a fairly deep (for Kansas) valley and there's not the nice flat land around it like other lakes. You'll also (for sure) be sailing alone: no other windsurfers there...or even kiters. Everyone from Manhattan goes to Milford Lake, cause it's got nicer launches and generally better wind. Epic direction for Tuttle Creek though.
The forecast continues to evolve, and now I'm leaning on joining all the other windsurfers camping at Pomona this weekend. We have an area there that we reserve most weekends during the summer called "The Wigger Group Area". Very nice to sail there, and I've never sailed there on a west or NW since I've been doing freestyle. I'm pretty sure there's a jetty or point that'll create a flat water area for tricks, but still have wind. It's only 75 min from KC.

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #7

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks men, ends up I have to stay in town to spend time with my grand daughter.

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #8

Tuttle Creek Lake, KS launch recon. B)

Yellow arrow points to the same spot in all photos
tuttlecampinglaunch_3.jpg

The side branch is over 1/4 mile across making for a good exit on S, SSW, WSW, for the afternoon before the big show the next day after the front passes for the big NNW-NW.
tuttlecampinglaunch_2.jpg

Arrow points to sand (water level pending). Parking right above launch
tuttlecampinglaunch.jpg

Camping
tuttlecampinglaunch_5.jpg

Look at that fetch for NNW-NW. 50+ feet deep out there. Hopefully head high in the middle when down the pipe 4.0.
tuttlecampinglaunch_4.jpg

This is what was going on in a side branch. 2016.
Tuttlecreekwaves.jpg

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #9

I bet Tuttle Creek was epic today. i've heard that on days where it's right down the length, that there are like 6 ft waves by the dam.
It was PLENTY windy at Pomona though! I started on a 5.0 with my 92 ltr Psycho and rigged down to a 4.5 after about an hour. Sailed that for another 3 hrs till I couldn't hold on anymore.

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #10

That's awesome, Eric. I was watching. You were at the right spot. Pomona was right in the wind zone. A lot of WNW.

Sunday fun day, KS, IA, NE? 8 months 3 weeks ago #11

Water is nice and warm too. Great to sail 4.5 all day w/o any neoprene!

Aug6shuvit1.jpg
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds