Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Next 3 days 9/10/22

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #1

Whadda all y'all think is gonna happen with the wind this weekend? Prolly gonna sail local this afternoon, but was considering making another long trip to chase wind in Iowa and Illinois. ECMWF model points to Peoria Lake as slightly better wind on Sunday and NWS agrees (14-28 mph). Reid's handy launch map lists a place called "Jonahs" as the place to go there.

BTW, has this been the WORST year for wind??? I haven't sailed in about 6 weeks :huh:

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #2

Eric Raven wrote:
ECMWF model points to Peoria Lake as slightly better wind on Sunday and NWS agrees (14-28 mph). Reid's handy launch map lists a place called "Jonahs" as the place to go there.

NNW- NW - W is not good for Peoria Lake. The river valley sits SSW-SW. The area around central Illinois is roughly 700' elevation. Peoria Lake is 430'. The other thing to be aware of is the water quality at Peoria Lake. Starting from Chicago you've got steel mills, coal plants, farm animal runoff all going into the Illinois River. And now they've got Asian carp. The shore and bottom of Peoria Lake is silt - think watered down pudding that goes up to your knees.

Trying to catch a bonus day is tough. You can try but keep expectations low. The bench mark start of the season is after September 15th. A good time to try is rocktober.

I'm watching late Sunday and Monday 9/12 for Clinton lake. Rain in the mix. Watching updates.

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #3

I agree, this has been a crappy year... at least the summer has been. Spring was pretty good.

The system coming next Saturday looks to have good potential :cheer:

Andrew

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #4

Watching Monday 9/12/22 for Clinton Lake. Could be a good day for Purgatory Cove - WNW wind. Gets rolling around 9:00am per forecast.

Clinton Lake
Clinton_ScreenShot2022-09-11.png

Clinton Lake - Euro gust forecast
Clinton_ScreenShot_22022-09-11.png

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #5

Greetings, tribe! Ok, I'm makin' the drive to come sail with you mfer's today and tomorrow. Should be at Clinton around 2:30 today. Where you sailin' from?

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #6

I'm only looking at Monday 9/12. See above.

Sunday - You might get some wind at The Road launch late afternoon, evening.

Map / Guide
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/cli...lesson-grandson#8297

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #7

Update: An upgrade for Sunday afternoon. They're messing with my Monday now. I'll be at the The Road after 1:00 9/11/22.

Clinton forecast
Clinton_ScreenShot_32022-09-11.png

Next 3 days 9/10/22 1 year 7 months ago #8

Monday forecast 9/12. Looks like a good day for Purgatory Cove.

Clinton Lake
Clinton_ScreenShot_52022-09-11.png

Euro model gust forecast
Clinton_ScreenShot_42022-09-12.png
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds