Thursday, May 09, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off!

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #1

I realize that it's a long drive for you guys, but if you're itchin' for REAL wind and summer sailing again, then you will not be disappointed with Wilson Lake near Russell, KS. Supposed to blow Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend. There are cool hotels nearby to stay at, but most of us camp and sail at Lucas State park on the north side of the lake. I see that most of you are in wetsuits now, but it's still shorts + rash guard out here: sunny mid-80's and water temps mid-70's. Should be a bunch of kiters and sailors from KC and Nebraska there, plus some Colorado guys usually show up (same length of drive as from Illinois).

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #2

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I looked at the forecast for this weekend and it’s showing 10-15mph. Where are you seeing the forecast showing wind? It’s a long drive so just want to make sure the forecast looks good.

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #3

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #4

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thinking I will go, will pull the trigger tomorrow if so

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #5

Cool! If you do go, there is no reservation on camping sites. The "season" ended today, so starting tomorrow all primitive sites are FREE (first come first served) and those with electricity are $20/night. They closed the showers and running water bathrooms, but the privy toilets are still open. Lucas, KS is 8 miles north of the lake and has some stuff, Wilson, KS is 10 miles south and has the historic Midland Railroad Hotel (built in 1899).
If you're there, I'll be the only one freestyling (red or blue Sailworks Revo's and Severne Psycho board). Come say Hi!

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I am going to go for it. My son and I will be leaving tomorrow afternoon so will get there late and pitch a tent. Not sure yet what we will be driving since I’m renting a vehicle instead of driving mine. Getting there Friday will allow me to checkout the lake and surrounding area. If you have any ideas on something to see/do while we are in the area please share.

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #7

Really beautiful out there; like you imagine in cowboy movies. Great hiking trails and stuff to see kayaking or SUPing.
ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations/Wilson

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Cool, thanks for the link! If the spot to launch isn’t obvious then please post where to launch, really looking forward to my first trip to KS. I appreciate the heads up on forecast and all the info.

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #9

Lucas park, sites 9 -24 are the best launch. I aim to get site #10, that's my favorite.

www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/2...7/campsites?&start=0

The corps installed these huge boulders to keep the shore from eroding, but they left 6 ft wide paths through about every 100 ft. The flat rocks where you launch can be slippery, so be careful your first time. Otherwise, one of the best and easiest launches anywhere, plus, no mud! Water can be REALLY clear, like 8-10 ft. visability.

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #10

Wilson lake is my halfway point when visiting family out west. Psyched your going to check it out. I've had some great times with 4.7 wind and riding the single track mt bike trail. Bring your bikes, you will be bummed if you don't, the trail is propose built for riding. The Midland Hotel has a great bar and dining. I'd recommend the meat loaf. Watch for trains and walk the downtown.

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #11

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I am at Lucas site 9.

Need a road trip? Central Kansas fixed to go off! 3 years 7 months ago #12

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Friday 9/18/20

Setup Base camp H at Wilson Lake KS. If you look closely at last pic you can see my tent under the tree that sticks out the most on the right. Has clearing around it.

Need WindsurfIllinois.com flag

Starting to get 4pm blow here as well. Not enough for me yet

No other windsurfers

Pretty cool place. Has hills all around though

A850C318-E072-417E-BE19-853CF7439B2D_fix.jpg

20D87ACE-B254-425E-998F-3622F26CFF75_fix.jpg

AB03B93C-4005-4B70-BB65-418319908B59_fix.jpg

E22AAD0E-0CB5-4471-B7A1-4CC585F0E616_fix.jpg
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds