Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #1

Hey Guys,

Thinking of driving up to Clinton Lake Saturday. Among my 3 weekend choices Clinton, Carlyle or Rend it is showing the best potential for wind. I'll be bringing the big gear so wind in low 10's and gusts 10 to 25 is just fine. My question -- for a south wind is the sailboat marina the appropriate place to go. Maybe bringing my wife and I know that spot is a good one for launching and hanging out. Any advice, let me know. I'll make the call Saturday morning on if I am driving up or not.

thanks, dennis

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #2

That did sneak up on us. Thank's up the heads up, Dennis. Looks like SSW-SW wind in the 6.9 to 5.8 range. Yep, marina is the spot. I'll be out there. Water temp at the coolest spot of the lake(west side) 80 F. Bring cold water. Don't forget to record some GPS speed.

The dot is calling. :lol:
6_20_2020.jpg

1_2020-06-19.gif

Clinton Lake Forecast
6_20_2020_Clinton_Lake_forecast.png

Euro Model Gust Forecast
6_20_2020_gust_forecast.png

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #3

Reid,

I'll make the call in the morning. Could be Carlyle, Rend or Clinton for me. Right now you got the best forecast out of all of them.

Stupid question. Do you guys have large fish in that lake? Just fixed a blown out fin box on my board -- hoping not to have that happen again. Broad reach on with the 9.3 caused a big stop. Fin box took all the energy. My formula fins are too vertical and have caused many wrecks from fish hits.

With this forecast I am thinking my 9.3 or at best the 8.4. We'll see what wind blows, i'll bring stuff down to 5.9 just in case. I like to sail well overpowered with major downhaul.

I'll have my garmin gps, i'll charge the battery tonight.

thanks, dk

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #4

Yep, you've got lake options.

I've been windsurfing Clinton Lake since 1985 and I've never hit a fish or heard about anybody hitting a fish at Clinton. We don't have any Asian carp.

I'm watching the weather too and will post updates.

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #5

Update: Downgrade, and they put rain on it in the afternoon. :( .

Clinton Lake Forecast
6_20_2020_Clinton_Lake_forecast_2.png

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #6

Update #2: And another downgrade. :( . As of right now I'm not going.

Clinton Lake Forecast
6_20_2020_Clinton_Lake_forecast_3.png

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #7

Reid -- thanks for all the responses.

I went to Carlyle, was good day. The wind really kicked up at the end of the day to 18 to 20. I was on the 9.3 at that point and too exhausted to rig down.

I keep my activities on Strava -- link to the first workout is here for your enjoyment. Hope we get to sail together, i'll come up when the wind is up north and not down south.

www.strava.com/activities/3646159654

6/20/20 -- Clinton, Carlyle or Rend 3 years 10 months ago #8

That was the smart move. Clinton, I saw on the radar, got hit by storms from about 2:00pm on. The rise in elevation approaching the lake kicks off storms easily. Carlyle can't be beat with its up to 8 miles of fetch and 3.5 mile reaches. Solid wind. And you get the whole lake to yourself. You have to go to Lake Michigan to beat that. Carlyle also doesn't have any Asian carp. I did have a friend that hit a regular carp at Carlyle one time. That's a cool GPS track on the day.

Feel free to post a speed screengrab for any 2020 speed you might have.

2020 speed thread: windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...-freaks-2020-contest

Also...

Breann is looking for windsurf pointers/instruction to get better on Rend Lake.

Thread:. windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...rn-il/1043-rend-lake
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds