Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: WSW Friday the 13th Lake Geneva

WSW Friday the 13th Lake Geneva 4 years 7 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
1619947C-A9CC-4C38-AB6A-005BA72B2EA8.jpeg

I’m at the boat ramp at Linn Rd. Beautiful place. The wind is still too much from S but is supposed to shift to W later. 5.7 maybe....

WSW Friday the 13th 4 years 7 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Lake Geneva raged today! Wind was gusting well over 30 mph. We had a great session and I met some old friends whom I haven’t seen for a long while. The launch reminded me of the Clinton’s Marina launch, but even better because it’s located at the narrows-no need to grind upwind like at Clinton. The swell is bigger also and riding it is a lot of fun. Good jumping ramps too /for the good at jumping/. I made the mistake of rigging 5.2 after the 5.7 became too much instead of switching directly to 4.7 /what I did later/ wich was the right size for the conditions. I’m really bad at sail size selection, I admit. The last hour and a half with the 4.7 was definitely the best part of the session and made me a happy camper until 4:30 when the wind started dropping.
Fancy apre-sesh in beautiful downtown Geneva had a Schnitzel sandwich in store for me. Good times :)
59CA8F85-D378-4023-B1D2-D7DB88433F5B.jpeg

D603826C-A20A-4017-8D9D-60D557CB2199.jpeg

1B0C5456-008B-47CB-AF70-A3A762C07230.jpeg

137A97C4-E543-4D77-A199-5C4418AD5C71.jpeg

E88F4924-157A-4CF8-8EAC-93989206B59B.jpeg

WSW Friday the 13th 4 years 7 months ago #3

Way to go, Ady! Tomek said he caught a big day at The Narrows(on the Launches page for folks that don't know) a few years ago when he was down last spring. He said he waited years to catch a 3.7 day with the right direction and said it was Gorge like at the The Narrows on Geneva.

Lake Geneva is deep!

75 feet deep in the channel at The Narrows and to the west of there it plunges to 135 feet! 4.5 miles of fetch on a WSW all being funneled into a 1/2 mile squeeze. Boom!
Lake_geneva_depth_map.jpg

On the radar for a road trip if we can find an all day sesh. Other spots to check out for other directions. See Launches page.

WSW Friday the 13th 4 years 7 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Like Clinton this is another spot I regret not checking out sooner. For me it is a great alternative to MC and in some aspects it is actually a lot better. It is the same distance from my home time wise, has a bigger wind tolerance, no Lake Michigan wind deflecting cold air shroud , awesome grass rigging area right next to the parking and the water and I don’t have to deal with sand mess. The choice is clear!

WSW Friday the 13th 4 years 7 months ago #5

It's hard to capture swell size with the GoPro, especially in Super View mode where things get squashed down. But I can see the nice swell in this photo, Ady. Must have been awesome.

439D22CC-AC78-4B33-884F-49249F43948B_fix.jpeg

Nice drone footage and history in this vid.

Lake Geneva Lake Path | Lake Geneva Mansions Tour

WSW Friday the 13th 4 years 7 months ago #6

• Jake
  • High Wind
Ady,

Glad to hear you hit Geneva on a good day! When that lake "sets up" it's incredible. I am still in disbelief that I missed a warm 4.7 day with big swell... I'm sure there were lots of good local sailors to keep you company. It's a great crew of riders down there.

Is it almost time for some big NE days on Lake Michigan??

Jake

WSW Friday the 13th 4 years 7 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Jake wrote:
Ady,

Glad to hear you hit Geneva on a good day! When that lake "sets up" it's incredible. I am still in disbelief that I missed a warm 4.7 day with big swell... I'm sure there were lots of good local sailors to keep you company. It's a great crew of riders down there.

Is it almost time for some big NE days on Lake Michigan??

Jake

Hi, Jake! Glad to hear from you, it’s been a long time. I hope you are doing well!
Indeed you missed a nice day. Patrick told me that you probably went to Mendota when I asked him about you. That’s another lake that I’ve never sailed on-its a bit too far for me.
Like you said the Lake Geneva regulars a one fine bunch -friendly and very experienced. One of them was a standout especially, I suspect this must have been Ben who posted a cool freestyle video clip a while ago here. His swell riding and strap to strap jibes with hand grabs were amazing.
Believe me or not I haven’t been to Greenwood this year, probably because I sailed on Clinton most of Spring. Hopefully October will bring some good N days and hopefully I’ll see you there.
I suspect the Severne sails rider might have been Ben, but I could be wrong
F93F64FB-EEBD-4BF2-B1BC-6BE1811A5AC8.jpeg
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds