Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Monday 7/22 Greenwood

Monday 7/22 Greenwood 4 years 9 months ago #1

A decent N day at Greenwood starting about 8 am. I showed up at 9:30 and had a good time in the morning on slightly holey 6.0 conditions. The high lake level has made getting out at Greenwood punishing though not too difficult. Right where you want to start, big curlers come and smack you hard, pulling gear out of your hand. Later the current points your board straight upwind. If you can get up in a gust, its then not so bad after that, although the succeeding waves are bigger they just crumble at the top rather than a big curl (like they used to in prior years). As of now, wind seems to have stayed up until after 3pm, dying off at 4.

Monday 7/22 Greenwood 4 years 9 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
You made me feel better for not making it today. I need 5.2 or stronger for my 94 at Greenwood. I know from personal experience that anything less turns into kit trashing nightmare and then I have to switch to the windSUP, which is still fun but not worth the 25$ fee. I go to Greenwood for the waves only -the Wall is my blasting playground. I haven’t had a single wave riding day so far this year, but the best time for that is Fall anyway. Today just seemed to be a lucky bonus day, which apparently it wasn’t.

Monday 7/22 Greenwood 4 years 9 months ago #3

I feel like 6.0 is actually kind of sweet spot at Greenwood. At that wind speed the shore break never gets that bad, whereas more wind than that you better get there within 6 hours of the beginning of the wind or it will get very gnarly current and breaking waves, can waste a lot of energy crashing and burning getting out. There is no true wave sailing any time, but you can get great smooth jibes in the troughs on the inside, and if you're lucky you can ski down a long slope on your jibes on the outside. Today it seemed like once I coasted down a swell for 2 seconds with no sail power, amazing feeling.
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds