Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: WSW Sat 05.25

WSW Sat 05.25 4 years 11 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Dropping one last holiday-maker at ORD and got all clear for the rest of the day. Planning to hit Wolf sometime this afternoon.

WSW Sat 05.25 4 years 11 months ago #2

Unexpectedly pleasant day at Greenwood, on extreme offshore WSW 240-260 degree wind that I had never tried before, but it was such a nice day. So to be safe, used my kids' learner board, a 165 BIC Nova, padded deck same shape as Bic Techno 160, but I tried a used Maui Tectonics 42 cm racing fin just bought off Ebay. At the launch site, the wind is swirly and inconsistent, best you can do is flail or drift offshore until you're about 40 yds out, then uphaul and head south out of sight. Once there, amazingly nice flat 7.0 powered up conditions mostly powered up, and the fin made a huge difference in comfort and speed. It's a little weird to be directly sailing towards South Beach in Evanston on your outward run. The weight of the board definitely hinders the response to gusts, but helps the board just plow through a jibe. Getting back not as bad as I thought, a long schlog, go well north past launch, tack back, fighting the lulls and gusts the whole way. Tough day for the small sailboats, lots of capsizing.

WSW Sat 05.25 4 years 11 months ago #3

Wow, David, that's quite an adventure to drift out and trust that the wind will kick in. Got to be spectacular views on that reach. Way to go!
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds