Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: SSW for 12-08-23

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #1

Anyone going sailing this coming Friday? Temps around 50-55 and wind 15kn gusting 24kn.
Is wolf still open waters?

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #2

I want to be as brave as you some day. If you get out, enjoy!

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #3

almost all lakes are ice free ,,BUT even the forecast for min wind of 20 with gusts to 35 for like several straight days ended up being virtually non sailable . good luck

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #4

• KM
  • Storm Force
I was at Wolf last Thursday and there was barely any ice, just a couple pieces on shore. Silver had ice last week but was accessible. Guessing that both lakes are fine as it hasn't been below freezing much at all.

I'm planning on sailing both tomorrow @ Wolf and Friday @ TBD. Was planning on SIlver but could do either so if people are going to Wolf I'd join you.

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #5

I’d be game for Wolf on Friday. Not too excited about Silver. 15kn gusting 25 is manageable especially on flat water. I agree that 15 gusting 30 or 35 is a bit of a pain. Let’s see how the forecast looks like by tomorrow.

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #6

• KM
  • Storm Force
Today looks awfully marginal so I think I'm making Friday my day, which looks quite nice for Wolf.

Greg, was the day I met you at Silver in 2021 the only day you've sailed there? That day was WNW which is awful there!

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #7

KM wrote:
Greg, was the day I met you at Silver in 2021 the only day you've sailed there? That day was WNW which is awful there!

That’s right! A while back already.
For tomorrow, I’m not sure about it. The updated forecast for Friday looks a bit light and gusty. Driving 3h one way to rig a 9.4 isn’t that appealing. I’ll keep watching if things evolve more positively.

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #8

It looks solid for Greenwood Friday until noon on classic SSW day. I wish I could tell you I would meet you there, but all the wingers that finally learned to love SW direction at Greenwood (instead of Wolf) have all decided to migrate to Montrose for winter even though it is pure offshore. They like the super flat water and the gustiness is more tolerable on the foil, but simply terrible for windsurfing (plus the long walk from the street). There will be at least 3 or 4 of us winging at Montrose tomorrow morning.

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #9

Thanks David. I think I’ll just dip a toe at Silver. Just 2h away for me. Enjoy Montrose!

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 2 weeks ago #10

• KM
  • Storm Force
Update for me: kid is running a fever and not feeling well so I'm OUT for sailing today. I do know two others not on here are planning on sailing Silver today, and the forecast looks amazing.

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 1 week ago #11

• KM
  • Storm Force
Stunning day at Silver yesterday, but if you're thinking about it you may need a log or tool to clear the ice as it's about 50' of ice near shore. Someone left one on the beach which was nice, but after I used it the log was stolen by a dog (this sport leads to very unusual sentences doesn't it?) Took about 25 minutes to clear before I was able to get my Kona out to open water. Absolutely lovely day and I was just fine in a 5/3suit, 6mm boots and a hat and helmet. Water seems to be about 32 degrees even as it was refreezing around the ice path, and air temps were between 39 and 45. Thinking yesterday might have been the end for 2023!
IceFloe.png

SSW for 12-08-23 4 months 1 week ago #12

Saw your short vids on Instagram: Nice! I would have joined if temps would have stayed above 50.
The day before was nice too and much warmer! Got my “last” session between 11 and 2pm. Very powered on my 8.2 V8/125l. Strong gusts and enough wind to keep it planing through the lulls. Just perfect for a few healthy speed runs! I have to revise my opinion about Silver Lake: Great flat water blasting spot in SW conditions. Will definitely consider more often - especially in very strong wind.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds