Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Suggest revise Greenwood launch information

Suggest revise Greenwood launch information 9 months 1 week ago #1

Greenwood launch information should be revised to include SW and WSW as directions suitable for sailing, and even NW. We (wsurfers and wingers) all had an excellent day sailing WSW on a beautiful summer day (7.0 windsurf sails, 6.0 wings). On that direction the water is super flat easy sailing with long reaches. Not hard to get back with a floaty board that schlogs decently, get as close to the breakwall as possible and you have at most a 5 minute swim back to shore. A bit deceptive to read the wind because on the beach feels like nothing. 16-22 Crib reading 12-17 Wilmette bouy reading and it will be good.
On a NW during the sailing season Gillson is only for Wilmette residents, but from Greenwood you can schlog out past Northwestern sailing center, and get the good wind that Gillson gets on a NW wind. Very good fun swell out there on those conditions.

Suggest revise Greenwood launch information 9 months 1 week ago #2

• KM
  • Storm Force
I understand you can sail at Greenwood as a non Evanston resident but with a fee. Do you know who you see about that and how much it is? And Evanston becomes free to part at some point towards fall, correct?

Suggest revise Greenwood launch information 9 months 1 week ago #3

Non-residents can get a season pass for 75-100 more than an Evanston resident. I’m not sure what the daily non-resident fee is. Its very easy to claim somebody as a guest on your pass. You can launch before they staff the beach. The staffing is often sketchy and sometimes they don’t check anybody going on the sailing side. Sometimes when its closed for swimming due to rough shorebreak, nobody is there on great N wind days. After labor day everything is open, but they rarely will ticket cars in the lot without parking tag. Its the best launch parking and rigging site in Chicago by far, I get my moneys worth with additional family use for paddle boarding and the time and gas savings. Your sailing will improve a lot there. Because getting back to shore sometimes involves 10+ minute schlog on SW or SWS, I have really found having Duotone adjustable extension a great accessory to tune sail out the water, saves a lot of schlogging time, and almost always you can make it better than your initial setting. Even without the schlog, you will adjust because it is so easy.

Suggest revise Greenwood launch information 9 months 1 week ago #4

I would call Dempster St boating facility for daily launch fee info. I recall they also used to discount the season pass after a certain date. If you knew you wanted to try Greenwood on a certain day and I was going to be there you could get in on my pass.

Suggest revise Greenwood launch information 9 months 1 week ago #5

• KM
  • Storm Force
I think Bob B mentioned something similar about the cost being halved starting sometime in August? I'd really like to try it this summer at some point, as work isn't taking me north as much as it used to for the little lakes . I actually work/live not far from Montrose Beach but the dogs, distance, parking and reflected seawall slop make that less appealing. Also been keeping my eye out for SSE days to try 63rd st beach as it looks interesting. That said if you ever see a good Greenwood day and are going I'd happily buy lunch or beer in exchange for a guest-in on your pass.

Suggest revise Greenwood launch information 9 months 1 week ago #6

• KM
  • Storm Force
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds