Monday, May 13, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: beginner gear?

beginner gear? 10 months 1 day ago #1

• Erik
  • Fresh Breeze
Hi everyone, I'm new here, so please forgive me if there is already a resource for this. I've been trying to learn to windsurf up at the NW Sail Center. I've been struggling to even stay on the board. I weigh about 210 lbs, and I'm pretty sure the biggest board they have is a 185. When I get on the board, I submerge it more than a little.

I realize that this is a skill and that it takes practice to learn, but I'm here to ask: Do you think I would have an easier time practicing getting under way, tacking, and jibing if I could practice with a larger board?

beginner gear? 10 months 1 day ago #2

Absolutely.

Something 12' long with a centerboard and as wide as possible is what I would try to find. A Windsurfer LT or Kona or a Mahalo would be ideal. But finding one will take some digging. Maybe someone here can loan/rent one to you for a while?

Floaty short wide boards are ok, but "plow" through the water. A longboard will "glide" through the water in light wind, and will turn slower (which is good for beginners).

I would love to find a Mahalo for teaching.

Drew

beginner gear? 10 months 1 day ago #3

At ~289 cm in length, and ~80cm wide, this Mistral Prodigy probably has a volume close to 250-something liters (www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/252208503941891/), but I wouldn't pay close to what they're asking.

While a larger/wider board would be beneficial initially, it probably won't take too long before your balance/technique improves enough that you'll be using the 185L boards without a problem. Rather than looking for a different board, your time and effort may be better spent practicing on the 185L boards they have even though the first sessions are going to be tough.

beginner gear? 10 months 1 day ago #4

Erik wrote:
I weigh about 210 lbs, and I'm pretty sure the biggest board they have is a 185.

According to the Northwestern Sailing Center's webpage they have "RRD Easyride Softskin, JP Australia Explorer and BIC Beach 225D boards." -- northwesternsailing.com/windsurfing. The BIC Beach is 225 liters so they might have a larger board you can use.

beginner gear? 10 months 1 day ago #5

• Erik
  • Fresh Breeze
Oh, thanks! I'll have to ask if they still have that board.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds