Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 11/29 at Wolf anyone?

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 5 months ago #1

Forecast shows 20 to 34mph starting around 11-onward, 56 degrees, partly-cloudy to cloudy.
Is anyone showing up at Wolf tomorrow? Maybe the last chance for a "warm" day on the water this year?!

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 4 months ago #2

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Nice day! Chris T. and Alex went wingfoiling at Wlimette (Gillson), I couldn't get motivated enough to hit the water but took out my land board and 5m wing for a nice session of figure 8s instead.

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 4 months ago #3

• KM
  • Storm Force
Does anyone know how frozen Wolf is? Forecast has been calling for big warm up later this week, and it's got me wondering if any place north of Clinton is going to be sailable. Lake Geneva WI is still open, but looks like lots of the ltitle lakes with webcams (Pistakee, Three Oaks) are all frozen which makes me think places north of town are probably not going to work.

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 4 months ago #4

KM wrote:
Does anyone know how frozen Wolf is? .

Did you find out? Open water? My guess is not, but with a bit of luck, the steel mill behind could have connected some used cooling water to the lake.

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 4 months ago #5

• KM
  • Storm Force
I'm not sure about Wolf.

Lake Geneva looks open on both web vans, lake pistakee is mostly iced over. Talked to someone who was supposed to go ice sailing on silver yesterday.

If I had to guess I'd say wolf was iced, but if forecasts hold I might load up gear just to see on Thursday, so fingers crossed is best answer I can give!

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 4 months ago #6

The southern tip of lake Michigan currently has plenty of open water, but by me it's blocked off off by shelf ice. No significant winds from the north are predicted for at least the next week, so the shelf ice could be around for a while.

ShelfIce.jpg

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 3 months ago #7

• KM
  • Storm Force
I did not try Wolf, seemed very iffy yesterday so didn't want to cross town for it.

Can tell you the massive ice sheets downtown Chicago mostly moved on from the weekend, but any Lake Michigan beach (Montrose pictured) is still going to be tough to cross. Perhaps early/middle of this coming week may work but I don't think I can get out so wish you all luck if you're feeling the need.

Heard good things about the ice up north last week, but that may have become unsafe since. I'm thining about taking a wing and skis out once the ice is safe, hopefully that's fun like last year.

20221229_090722.jpg

20221224_120822.jpg

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 3 months ago #8

Let's watch what's going to happen on Tuesday. Looks like some warmer temps and good SW wind.

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 3 months ago #9

• KM
  • Storm Force
Wolf on Tuesday has been on my mind for sure, if the forecast is right we'll have a couple days of above freezing before it gets unusually warm and the wind forecast has been fairly steady calling for SW wind.

Silver at least was frozen enough that the ice board folks were out there blasting along over much of the length just a couple days ago. Some very cool video here:

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 3 months ago #10

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Wow - supercool video with the 360 feature!! Thanks for posting!

11/29 at Wolf anyone? 1 year 2 months ago #11

• KM
  • Storm Force
In case anyone else was wondering: drove past Wolf yesterday afternoon and it's still mostly covered in ice. There is soft water showing in the marshy bits and around the launch, but at present still too much ice to sail on. Going to be a couple warm days early this week before it cools off again Thurs.
Time to create page: 0.732 seconds