Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston?

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #1

Tomorrow Saturday 26 looks rather warm for the season with 55 degrees, mostly sunny and a bit of SW 13-20kn peaking around noon. Anyone going sailing? Is Wolf still open water? Would Evanston be the place to go?

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I would wait until Tuesday if I were you. Working both unfortunately.

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #3

Thanks, Ady. Yeah, Tue looks much better. Too bad you can't escape from your duties.
Do you know if Wolf is still open water?

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #4

Wind seems worse the farther south you go. Evanston looks possible, not guaranteed. Probably better Milwaukee McKinley beach. I might head to Andrea for wing session.

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #5

Thanks, David. I'm thinking Pike Lake for a flat water session. Wind looks better up north indeed and that lake seemed to have thawed a bit. Have fun at Andrea!

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #6

I ended up going out at Indiana Dunes - West Beach (~15 miles east of Wolf) this afternoon and was way under powered on a 5.8 sail. At least the water was reasonably flat.

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #7

Nice crash Brian! I bet this one woke you up nicely, right?!
Had a fun day on Flat Pike Lake. Had to wait till a thin sheet of ice melted away by noon. Good speed runs in the gusts. Was riding the large 125l/39cm/7.2. The fin was a handful in the gusts but I was too lazy to go back to shore and change. Still had some good runs with minimal wetted surface like it should be.

GH050949_Moment2.jpg

11/26 anyone for Wolf or Evanston? 1 year 5 months ago #8

The crash certainly was refreshing, although with water temperatures in the mid-40s it wasn’t quite the shock of falling in mid-March. You definitely chose wisely with the 125l/39cm/7.2. setup. I ended up swapping the 102l FSW board for a ~160l Start since I was spending more time in the water than out of the water. Moving up to a 7-something sail would have been a good move too.

Tomorrow's forecast is still looking good.
Screenshot2022-11-28at12-20-44iGetwind-windforecastsurfforecastandtide.png
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds