Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Legality of windsurfing on local lakes

Legality of windsurfing on local lakes 2 years 9 months ago #1

• Max
So.. Ive been researching for a while now.. Can I windsurf ANYWHERE?

For example.. I live in Libertyville. There is a 120 acre lake Diamond lake 5 mins from my house. There is a boat launch ramp there, beach, and SUP/kayak rentals. I dont see why I cant windsurf there.. I am a super beginner so i will be going like 0.5 mph speed..

Also there is Bangs lake about 15 mins away in wauconda. its 350 acre lake.. There was somebody posting it in this forum. and they mentioned that they have windsurfed there before..

So here is the question... Can I windsurf anywhere?? of course as long as its public property not somebody's backyard.

What is the rule here? Thx!

Legality of windsurfing on local lakes 2 years 9 months ago #2

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Local rules may vary for launching, but I believe that windsurf boards, paddle boards, kayaks, are exempt from Illinois Boat Registration requirements so you don't need to register with the state although I have heard from some kayakers that some local places want the kayaks registered. Separately, with respect to windsurfing on a lake you'll typically want to check the local launch rules.

For Diamond Lake, I found www.mundeleinparks.org/wp-content/upload...ns-book_combined.pdf

Looks like Mundelein rents paddle boards there so seems like they'd be open to it. If the local beach is staffed, might just go down there and see what they say. Seems like lake is open to boating so other aspects are about parking, rigging, launching, and getting back to launch safely so might be an option in lighter winds to figure out. From google maps looks like the beach and boat launch is on the west side of the lake so you'd want on shore / side shore wind.

Legality of windsurfing on local lakes 2 years 9 months ago #3

Aside from permission, there are the practicalities of parking, rigging area, and launching, in relation to other boats and supervised swimming areas, all which can make or break it for a particular site. A specific site usually only works for certain wind directions. Being in the minority doesn't help. Life guards universally freak out if a windsurfer walks their gear through a swimming area. I think probably the best places near you are Lake Andrea or Silver Lake, because they are known to and used by windsurfers. Yes this is quite the hassle but all worth it.
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds