Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Best beach to work on beach and water starts?

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #1

• Kristian Martincic
I've had a really odd start to windsurfing so far, as all the places I've gone sailing have been really light air so I have to swim the board out, or rocky deep shores/docks so I've been dock starting a lot. Really want to find a place with enough wind and a good slope to practice the beach start and then water start.

What's the best place around here to try that? How's Wolf Lake for that? Have never been but want to try.

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #2

Learned both beach and water starts there on Wolf Lake. Haven't been there in years. It gets the wind Lake Michigan gets but nice flat water good for learning both.

FB_IMG_1566354058254.jpg

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #3

I agree Wolf works fine. If by dock start you mean you are sitting on your butt on the downwind side of the dock with your feet on the floating board and then standing up, sheeting in, and going, I'd say you've already learned what you are going to learn from the beach start, go to water start, where you need a lot of wind so you can use a small sail (5.5 or smaller) and can touch bottom comfortably. You need to be able to move the board and sail around easily, and steady wind helps a lot. Don't bother trying unless sailors your size are planing on same sail size as yours.

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #4

• Kristian Martincic
Thanks for the fast replies, looking forward to trying Wolf soon. Also really want to sail in more wind, I think I've been out in 10+kts about twice and it was amazing.

I have 2 boards, a 120l Xcite ride and a ??200L bic nova. I use the Nova most days as there's lots of drifting. Which would be easier to waterstart with if I have breeze?

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #5

I think the beginning part of everything is easier to learn on a big wide board, with the possible exception of jumping.
I also think as soon as you do a few water starts with your 200L board, switching to the 120L will be good.
I know for me the leg lifting dexterity required for beach & water starts is different enough from dock starting that beach start practice is helpful.

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Indeed, Wolf is great for learning beach and water starts, as well as Lake Andrea in WI or Clinton Lake down south. Wait for a S or SW forecast with at least 15-20 mph of wind and the use your smaller board to practice with a proper sail size for the conditions. The tail of a smaller board sinks easier which helps with starting-especially water starting. Like I said already rig a proper sail size ensuring you are not underpowered. A bit overpowered is recommended actually, so rig big!

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #7

You've got 2 differing opinions on which board would be easier to learn to water start on. I'd go with the one that you could do more sailing with right now, which is the big one. Sinking the tail is less important than having the board aligned in the right direction and staying in place. One of the common problems is the board rounding upwind, bigger wider heavier board will be more sluggish and forgiving, will just stay in place longer. The X-cite Ride is an advanced board that it does not seem that you are ready for. You won't be using daggerboard when water starting.

Best beach to work on beach and water starts? 3 years 8 months ago #8

• Kristian Martincic
Good stuff, thanks all, I'll let you know how it go!
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds