Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Evanston Beach update

Evanston Beach update 3 years 10 months ago #1

They decided to open Evanston Beaches to permit holders only. No daily passes available, and 2 family members + permit holder can enter the area to paddle/sail. They are limiting to 100 at a time, I don't see this ever as a problem except on a holiday weekend. They want you to check in at Dempster Ave, not sure how it works with your rigged gear at rigging area near Greenwood.
I think the bathing beaches are closed for the month of June, which means you could probably rig and launch at Lee Beach or South Boulevard, no problem. At Lee Beach you could work your way upwind and sail with everybody else.

Evanston Beach update 3 years 10 months ago #2

Thanks David! Are they selling the launching permits already? I have tried to contact them by e-mail repeatedly asking about renewal of last year pass.

Evanston Beach update 3 years 10 months ago #3

They will be available at Dempster office starting June 2. I mailed an application, just got the permit back in the mail, but they sent an email saying that for mailed applications you pick up at Dempster. Monday looks like a good day to sail, just launch at Lee.

Evanston Beach update 3 years 10 months ago #4

• Gerry
  • High Wind
I wish we could launch from Lee or South Blvd, but Per Ray Doerner from Parks and Rec (as well as a guard I spoke to at South Blvd. Beach yesterday), the city will not allow any craft (kayaks, SUPs, windsurfers) to launch from any beach other than Dempster. That Includes Lighthouse beach, this started yesterday. There will be guards at all beaches every day, though they don't start til later in the morning (10 or 11, can't recall) so dawn patrol may be possible.

Not only will you have to check in at Dempster, that gate is now the only place to enter and exit the beach; the fence opening at the Greenwood beach was wired shut yesterday. Per Ray you can pass your gear over the fence, or rig at Dempster by the tennis courts and carry it from there. They don't want us to rig at Greenwood and carry it all the way around to the gate at Dempster due to all the walkers, bikers, etc on the path.

We pointed out that this will create a very long walk on a Northeast, since we have to launch from the north end of the beach to clear the breakwall. Ray said it is possible they will allow people to enter and exit from Greenwood later in the season.

Evanston Beach update 3 years 10 months ago #5

Sailed out of Greenwood the last 2 days, and the situation is not terrible. On uncrowded days, you can pull into the boathouse parking lot and unload, and there is grassy rigging within a few feet of the fence. From there street parking or the permit parking area is very close. I don't expect this beach to be crowded ever, because there is no swimming allowed at Greenwood, not enough beach. From there short walk and easy launch from extreme south end of beach, will be very easy from south directions. On north could be a hassle, but I am thinking you could throw your gear and rig over the fence at the N end of the beach (at least the board you can lift over the low fence and place on sand). It looks like they are being strict with the number of persons that can enter with 1 pass (holder + 2 pre-designated family members) so I can't see how it will get full, no more unrelated large groups of people mostly sunbathing sharing a couple of paddle boards.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds