Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago?

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

Hello Chicago sailors and riders!
Forecast looks pretty good tomorrow with a moderate North in Chicago area; especially 10-1. Is anyone going somewhere good to launch?

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

I'll be at Montrose if I go. signed up for bike the drive tomorrow, so I'll be there later. Had a great sail from Montrose couple of weeks ago. Still can't get up on the foil, but I'm not sure if I had enough wind.

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

Hoe’s parking on a labor day w-e? Is it paid parking? Easy to find a spot? Are you allowed to windsurf on that beach while the season is not yet over?

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

I cheat and trailer my gear down with a bike. I haven't tried parking. I'd imagine it would be better the earlier you get there.

Though the beach is pretty crowded, I like this launch. I'm still not as confident as I want and this location is pretty forgiving.

I was pretty nervous about being yelled at for WS on this beach, but I've become a bit more cavalier recently. I did have one lifeguard tell me that I need to launch closer to the fence. The norther portion of the beach is a dog beach that has a fence that runs down the beach to the water.

I pointed to the children playing in the water and suggested the location I was launching from was safer.

I see lots of kiters at the beach with north north/east strong winds.

2023-07-03_10-38-39_455.jpeg

2023-07-03_10-35-21_445.jpeg

Screenshot2024-08-31at12.39.55PM.png

Had a good ride August 10th (Air and Water ... I think). crazy busy. I do remember memorial day last year, it was pretty busy, but tapered as the day progressed

You can't miss me if I'm out there. I'm the only one with a giant bike trailer and I usually setup on the north end of the beach.

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

Thanks, John, for all the details.
I just found out online that Montrose Beach is allowed to Kiteboarders but not to Windsurfers. Do you know anything about that?

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

Needs to be windy enough that they won't allow swimming.

From last year:
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/chi...-montrose-beach#8647

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 1 week ago #7

I didn't end up going yesterday. The north ride on bike the drive wore me out. 30+ knot winds are great for sailing, not so good for riding back from MSI.

I've sailed on Montrose, probably a dozen times now. I haven't found any documentation on the city websites that addresses windsurfing. There are specific rules for kites.

It's possible that it's not allowed and they have been ignoring me, but the two times I did speak with a lifeguard, once was the time I mentioned before where they told me where to launch, the other was on my way again they steered me toward the dog beach to avoid ppl.

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 1 week ago #8

Thanks to both of you (Reid and John) for the info.
I was told that officially, Windsurfing was banned on Lake Michigan in and around Chicago, but it is not enforced.

I ended up going to Illinois Beach State Park (South of Kenosha). Outstanding session. Beautiful setting. Free parking and access. Protected launch. Shoulder-height swell at times. Riding 5.4 and 6.2 on freerace board. Going down the swell full tilt scared the hell out of me! Ha!

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 1 week ago #9

There's no restrictions to windsurfing in the Chicago area, never have been, or for paddle boarding. The reason you see that list of requirements and restrictions for Kiteboarding on the city site for Montrose is that Kiteboarding almost got banned because Kiteboarding has all that mess going on. Kiteboarders got ahead of the curve with the city with that list of rules. A Kiteboarder also has to be certified to a certain level - they don't want a newbie kiter learning out there. Kiters would also watch and secure their gear on the beach.

The only requirement for windsurfing Montrose is, it be a Red Flag or Yellow Flag day, and launch by the dog fence. Happy sailing.

windsurfillinois.com/index.php?option=co...article&layout&id=96

windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photos/63...albumid=7&photoid=97

windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photos/63...mid=121&photoid=1715

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 1 week ago #10

John Wheeler wrote:
I30+ knot winds are great for sailing, not so good for riding back from MSI.

It looked like a great day.

Wilmette buoy
Willmette.png

The Crib
Harrison-DeverCrib.png

Chicago Pier Buoy
ChicagoPierBuoy.png

Staffan captured some folks out at Waukegan
waukeganbeach.png

Anyone sailing/riding tomorrow near Chicago? 1 month 1 week ago #11

Reid Fillman wrote:
... A Kiteboarder also has to be certified to a certain level - they don't want a newbie kiter learning out there.

Haha! We do get those newbies in Sheboygan once in a while. And I have 4 little stories:
1- 3 or 4 years ago I took a Chicago newbie kiter on my back as he launched uncontrollably on me. Unfortunately for him, he ended up with a dislocated shoulder and fortunately for me, I ended up with nothing (At least there's Karma out there!). A doc kiter friend of mine that was on the beach, put his shoulder back together free of charge, we packed his sh!t and sent him home! Haven't seen him back since.

2- Last year, one kitefoiler from Chicago was drawing circles in the shallows around me and my kit (I was just walking my windfoil kit back through 3 sandbars after a session). He was jibing twice at full speed within less than 5 yards away from me. He seemed to be in control but that made me quite nervous as I never seen him here before. A few moments later, he thought it would be fun to give me a taste of his "mastery" and his intelligence by playing chicken with me as I was riding: Both going in opposite direction, I'm going upwind to avoid kite lines, and he fights that intentionally all the way till the last minute when he finally gives me the right of way and a bit of his middle finger. Nice!.

3- A couple of years ago, on a nice summer strong NE, one Chicago kiter thought it would be fun to show his expertise by jumping super close to shore where many kids and people were swimming. He missed a few by not much. On the same day another one was teaching his girlfriend how to launch and land a kite between families with kids having a good time on the beach. Super sharp lines were just flying around between people completely unaware of the danger. The girlfriend even almost missed me by a few yards as I was exiting the water with my kit as she lost control of the kite and dropped it hard on the water next to me. We soon after didn't became friends!

4- Finally, just 2 days ago, another kiter at Illinois Beach ventures upwind where all the windsurfers (4 of us) were riding. At some point, he crashes maybe 100 yards from me going in opposite direction. I can't point upwind from him and pass - I was already too far down - so I broad reach quickly to give some more space. He sees me coming and decides to relaunch just before I pass. As he does that, he dips his kite super low to power up and misses my mast by a fraction. We crossed eyesight - me in total fear and him laughing his ass off.

We also get some experienced Chicago area kiters in Sheboygan that are very respectful and practice their sport safely, respectfully and responsibly, but there's always one or two that think they "own the spot", have the arrogance level to the roof and behave totally recklessly around people on the beach and in the water. So, rules or no rules, there's always going to be an idiot showing poor judgement and complete selfishness. I take on me to try to stay safe and ride upwind from kiters I don't know. This also to say that municipalities wouldn't have to impose useless rules if kiteboarding schools and instructors would impose some safety rules and ethics upon themselves to control the crazies when they are learning the sport.

All my beach friends are kiteboarders or wingfoilers, and in 8 years I've been on the water with them, there have been NO incidents whatsoever amongst ourselves. I'm sure there's an anthropological explanation to why a few Chicago kiters behave like they are riding on i90!
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds