Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Has anyone windsurfed in Spain, Greece, or Baja?

Has anyone windsurfed in Spain, Greece, or Baja? 6 years 6 months ago #1

• Greg S
  • Strong Breeze
Wondering if anyone can post a review on windsurf vacations in Canary Islands (FuerteVente, Spain), Greece, or Baja?
When did you go? Would your recommend? What were conditions? Did you rent or take gear? Is it family friendly or a solo trip?

Has anyone windsurfed in Spain, Greece, or Baja? 6 years 5 months ago #2

You may wanna think twice about Canary islands; that place is crazy windy and advanced/expert conditions all the time. Just watch any of the PWA freestyle competition videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean. Victor Fernandez has a pretty cool windsurfing center in Spain, but I've never been there. I've heard really good things about Greece; cheap to stay there and rent, but expensive and long flight.
I have been to Baja three times: once to PSC and twice to La Ventana. PSC is really expensive and is maybe not to everyones liking, but it's probably the best place in the world to learn how to wave sail. If you live in Cali and drive with your own gear, it's super cheap, but for everyone else it's super expensive, plus you'll be giving money to Kevin Trejo, who is a lateral move from Harvey Weinstein.
La Ventana, on the other hand, is one of my favorite places ever! It can be waves, B&J, slalom, etc.. It's inexpensive to get there, and inexpensive to stay. SW flies into San Jose Del Cabo and many others fly into La Paz. I always stay with Wyatt Miller & Tyson Poor, who run a vacation rental/windsurfing school there during the winter.

Has anyone windsurfed in Spain, Greece, or Baja? 4 years 11 months ago #3

Eric Raven wrote:
plus you'll be giving money to Kevin Trejo, who is a lateral move from Harvey Weinstein.

care to elaborate? I've been down to PSC about 10 times, but hailing from CA, I've always driven and camped down at or near the point. fantastic place and even better if you get there on your own IMO. the journey in and out is half the experience.

Wyatt's place in La Ventana is awesome, and he and Ty are great hosts. They have a lot of good, modern gear, carbon booms, and foils. The wind is a little more onshore at their beach, and it's where all the beginner kiters end up. They also have lots of toys for no-wind days like ATVs, bikes, boats, etc... I've also stayed and sailed out of Ventana Windsports (Esteban's) which was really nice. They have a nice restaurant and all meals were included (at least when I went). They also have good, modern gear and carbon booms, but they have less of it, so if a lot of windsurfers are staying there, there could be shortages of particular sizes. Their location is also on a road with some shops and restaurants. The nicest place in LV by most accounts and really good if you're bringing a SO and/or someone who does not windsurf/kite (hot tub on the beach, massage room, nicest compound, good food) Captain Kirk's is further upwind just past the General's. It has a nice view and launch and almost no crowd, but they are now owned by kiters, so they don't have great windsurf gear for rent. If brining your own gear, then Kirk's is an option. My friends from SoCal bring their gear and prefer that spot as it has much fewer kites and is just upwind of the General's (wavy area). Los Barriles is usually less windy as it doesn't have the thermal action that LV enjoys. I remember driving up from Los Barilles on a no-wind day to check out LV, and it was 5.0 up there.

Has anyone windsurfed in Spain, Greece, or Baja? 4 years 10 months ago #4

What are you looking for and what is your level / interest? And when do you want to go? The canary islands (fuerte ventura, Teneriffe) are great spots for slalom racing. I highly recommend TWS at Medano Teneriffe, that is also a spot where a lot of pro's train during winter. Fuerte is also great (Rene Egli). Conditions can be medium to rough. The spot centers are equipped nicely.
Greece I would recommend, Rhodos (hotel blue horizon), nice conditions. For family memebers wanting to do something else Greece is I think nicer and culturally more interesting than the canary islands, but there you can also have fun with biking, hiking.
Hope this helps!

Has anyone windsurfed in Spain, Greece, or Baja? 4 years 10 months ago #5

Kevin Kan wrote:
care to elaborate?

Well.....sure: as we all know, our sport is desperate for enthusiast who aren't middle-aged white guys. So there we are at PCS, and there are actually about 3-4 girls there who are either kiters or windsurfers. Everyone is cool, but as soon as this girl (who is super attractive) walks out of ear shot, KT unleashes the most disgusting torrent of what he'd like to do to her if they were alone....blah, blah, blah. It just came outta nowhere and was not something I was expecting. The 5-6 other guys all standing around just kinda looked at their feet or mumbled "ha, ha..." uncomfortably. I just stared at him, while I was thinking, "If I punch him, then where do I stay until the plane comes back to get us in three days?" It was SUPER un-professional of him, as the effing HOST (!) to say crap like that. I'll never go back there: he's a dick.
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds