Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I'm almost decided to go to Baja in July for a week to for a wave sailing camp. Has anyone done anything similar in Baja?

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #2

This is a tough one. PSC is an amazing place to sail....if it's on. When there's no wind, which does happen, the only things to do are mtn bike, drink, or read. Be careful with the mtn biking though. Although the terrain is amazing and challenging for even expert riders, you are hell and gone from any medical attention. So if, you really eff up and break something that'd be serious in the states, you could actually die down there. It'll be 3 hrs before you get to a hospital under the best of circumstances.
Anyway, back to the sailing. Because the swells are like they're made by a machine, and come in super slow, it's the easiest place to learn to wave sail in the world. Seriously, the swell comes in at about a walking pace, but will still break in these perfectly formed lines. The wind blows in such a way, that it's really great for both wave sailing and jumping. So you'd be thinking, "Awesome! What's the downside???"
1. If you fly/drive down and stay w/Solo Sports, it's super expensive: esentially $350+/day. Then you'll meet Kevin Trejo and realize that you're giving $350+/day to one of the biggest asshole, misogynist, dickheads on the planet. I will never go back there just because of him.....plus there's other places I like better, like La Ventana.
2. The water is kinda cold and there can be a MOUNTAIN of seaweed in the launch.
3. You have to pay $350+/day to live in a tent. Nice tent, but it's still a tent.
4. If you get blown down wind, it's really really no fun to walk back up the rocky "beach". You best be advised to learn to tack and stay upwind.

So, the reason people love it so much, is because they're from southern california, and they can just drive down there for a couple of days, camp on the beach, pay Kevin $25/day for use of the facilities, and it's like the jcheapest windsurfing trip you can do. For those of use that have to stay at Solo Sports, it's the most expensive windsurfing trip you can do. It's a lateral move (money-wise) to spend the same amount of time in Maui, even when you include airfare. Maui is definitely better than PCS.
I love to wave sail, but I'm mostly a freestyler, so that's my bias. Anyway, here's places I like to sail more than PCS:
1. La Ventana, Mexico (been twice)
2. Cabarete (going in April....2nd time)
3. Bonaire
4. Maui
5. The Gorge
6. Florence, Oregon (south jetty)
7. Ireland (Malahide)
8. Corpus Christi Bay (Ponesch, South Beach, or Oleander are all awesome)
9. San Francisco Bay
10. Tiree, Scotland (water is cold though)

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #3

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Eric,
Thanks for responding and for the insight about the place. I was almost 100 % sure I wanted to go, but now you may rethink the whole thing. I also thought Solo Sport was too expensive, but at the same time everything was included, plus I though it would be cool to have someone to coach me and correct whatever I was not doing right.
I used to ride wave back in the 90's in PR and I know as a fact that there's no wave in PR during the summer, and very likely the same in Dominican Republic too. Unless there's a strong storm or hurricane, it's as flat as the midwest. So Cabarete ( just like in PR, waves are created by cold fronts; not likely in the middle of the summer) is out the question. I've never been in Maui, but I think is like the Caribbean in the summer too, but I maybe I'm wrong. Have you been In Maui in the Summer? I'm not much of a freestyler, so I really looking to ride and jump waves, but nothing too big. Those days are gone. I've been in the Gorge and it's great for bump and jump, but I was looking for something new.
Anyway, maybe I should try Maui or Cabarete during my spring vacation (I'm art teacher) and forget about the whole thing during the summer, unless you know of a place during the summer where I can ride waves. I tried Cabarete on my honey moon years ago, but the wind was gone during the time I was there.

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #4

I went to Maui in July. It's less expensive in the summer (low season) and the wind is better, but the waves are smaller. I sailed Kanaha every day, and had a little bit of wave riding, but it was mostly B&J. Maui would be a good choice for March. Cabarete would also be good for March, but it's a different kind of wave riding. Lots of people go to Corpus in March, because it's solid for wind then. You can wave sail there in a couple places if you drive down with your own gear.

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #5

Eric great information! My wife and I were thinking of booking a trip to Bonaire in April or May so I was looking at a previous thread on Bonaire posted about 5 months ago. A few guys gave it great reviews (Greg S, Chris McDuffie, Chris and Ady). When I read this thread I seen your list and Cabarete. We're basically beginners. We've taken lessons in Maui and when we turned I purchased some used gear and have been trying to get out on the water whenever possible. Actually made it down to Clinton in 2015 and met Reid! but my work and good weather this past year have almost always been in conflict to get out on the water. So we want to get some good quality time in on the water. As Dan Hubert from Lowell said on a previous thread, "I want to get better before I get to old" and the weather here in Chicago isn't helping. Bonaire seems to be the best for beginners and other talent levels (from what's been posted) but how would you compare Bonaire to Cabarete? From what I've checked so far Bonaire seems to be a bit more $. We want the convenience of being on the beach, take some lessons and have the ability to jump on the water during our stay at any time. Which place would best offer that in your opinion and anyone else who has been to both?

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #6

Bonaire is definitely the best choice for beginners. If you get tired, or there’s no wind, you can just walk across the lagoon and there’s amazing snorkeling: forests of staghorn coral, gazillion fish, even saw a 5 ft Baracuda from ~20’ away! You can also rent a Kayak and go tour the mangrove forests. Amazing scuba and snorkeling all around the island. You also get to sail with the best freestylers in the world: they will blow your mind.
Cabarete is a little bit cheaper, and is the beach scene. Bonaire is not the beach scene. Cabarete is a 2 mile long curved beach that has a breaking waves on a reef about 200 m out. Beginners can just stay inside the break and it’s fine. Lots of people and easy self-rescue.

Thinking going to Punta San Carlos, Baja Californi 7 years 2 months ago #7

Garry Zack wrote:
Actually made it down to Clinton in 2015 and met Reid!

Pilgrimage!

B)
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds