Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Carbondale area

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #1

Is there anyone who goes windsurfing at Crab Orchard? I used to go there before I went off into the Navy. I recently came back to So IL, and I would love to get back into it. I don’t have my own gear or anything. Definitely used to use the old SIU sailing club equipment, but I don’t have access to it. It’s been about five years. I’d really love to hit the water again.

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hey Breann, I’m running the risk of coming across as rude, but I have the feeling that you are not fully aware how heavy you need to invest before you are ready to hit the water. We are talking in the vicinity of 2K just for a basic slightly decent second hand kit . And then there is the wetsuit and the rest of the cold water accessories if you want to extend your time on the water beyond the 3 hottest months, which is not cheap at all. Are you sure you want to commit so much money and time for this sport, which is not even that much fun until you are solid into intermediate level and that may take years ?!

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #3

Breann,
Yes I believe that there are some active windsurfers at Crab Orchard Lake. Some have been sailing on Rend Lake as well. Contact Ed (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or Art (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) who sail nearby. Art might be affiliated with the sailing program. Regarding equipment Ady posted 2K to get in, maybe for new stuff but there's plenty of old equipment that people will let go at next to nothing. Ed & Art might be a good place to start to see if any used stuff is available. Tell them Chris from St. Louis sent you their way.

cm

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #4

Breann Killman wrote:
Is there anyone who goes windsurfing at Crab Orchard? I used to go there before I went off into the Navy. I recently came back to So IL, and I would love to get back into it. I don’t have my own gear or anything. Definitely used to use the old SIU sailing club equipment, but I don’t have access to it. It’s been about five years. I’d really love to hit the water again.

Welcome back, Breann! And thank you for your service.

Charlie would also be a guy to talk to. See if somebody from the old gang can hook you up. I sent you an email with contact info. Keep us posted on the forum here about your adventures.

Flashback Monday:
Crab Orchard Lake Sailing Harbor 28 May 2012

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
STL-Chris wrote:
Regarding equipment Ady posted 2K to get in, maybe for new stuff but there's plenty of old equipment that people will let go at next to nothing. cm
All due respect Chris, but I think the easiest way to turn off somebody from windsurfing is to start them with the “next to nothing “ equipment from the 90s, 80s or worse . Most of it is worn down, has missing or mismatched parts and it’s too technical to sail to begin with. IMO a beginner should invest in relatively modern equipment-post 2000- to spare themselves the trouble of dealing with ancient stuff and concentrate on their progress instead. Even if you start on cheap old equipment you’ll soon realize that you have to upgrade rather sooner then later and then it gets even more expensive . A beginner friend of mine learned that the hard way not too long ago. There is nothing simple, easy or cheap in this sport and it’s fare to make people aware of the challenges ahead before they commit.
PS: I would recommend to any beginner to start with an inflatable windSUP and the small rig they usually package them with. The inflatables are easy to store and transport and double as paddle board or mattress for when the wind is too light for sailing. I think that’s an investment that you won’t get tired of for years even if you decide not to pursue windsurfing any farther.
isthmussailboards.com/inflatable-wind-su...s-over-packages.html
This is a good start package IMO:
6B62519C-37A9-40F0-9248-9EDCE8EA73F0.jpeg

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #6

Breann, I live in Cedar Falls IA so shipping would be an issue (though I have friends who live in Peoria IL and we could eventually arrange to meet there). So I don't expect you to buy any of my stuff. I'm offering the items as an illustration. They really are for sale. I haven't put them on Windsurfing Illinois because I don't already have an Illinois trip planned.

Kona One, 2006, the EVA deck is beat up because it is my "practice" board ( I save my 2012 for racing), includes 46 cm Kona powerbox fin (also somewhat beat up) & includes the 4 foot straps: $600.
Starboard Rio, 2003, (has clipperbox daggerboard), beat up 40 cm deep tuttle fin, 4 foot straps. The EVA is better than the Kona, somewhat beat up hull: $200
A package of single bolt, twist on mast base/ universal which fits a push-pin Chinook style extension & a 25 cm adjustable, mast extension (not Chinook): $50
Chinook 184-225 boom: $40
Unknown brand boom 171-221: $40

I need to check again to make sure which of my sails can be sold. They would be $40 or less per sail.
None of my two-piece masts are for sale (except a 560 for huge formula sails that you don't want).

Breann, what size & type of equipment did you use in the past and what are you looking for now?

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #7

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I don't know about inflatable boards. Couple of years ago, I guy a showed up in Wolf lake with one of those. I gave him few tips using his board, and the board felt very unstable, rocking from side to side very easily. To me, beachballs are inflatable not windsurfing boards.

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
FB6E823F-93B5-40C6-B63B-7B4A6ED9765E.jpeg

1C38AADA-0AFF-4893-902E-BCA18F402355.jpeg

www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2018/boar...-windsup-inflatable/
It doesn’t look quite as a beach ball to me . The inflatable technology is work in progress and has come a long way since its introduction several years ago. You also get what you pay for and I would pay the premium for the latest Starboard product over something that they sell in Costco.
It also seems that they’re heavily marketed towards women, for a reason I guess!

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #9

hello Breann have never sailed crab orchard but have Rend lake i reside in North Aurora ill My daughter and husband who just got out of Marines and enrolled into SIU avionics program, just moved to carbondale area, I will probably be down there more often now, I have extra equipment that you could use if i am in the area could let you know and your more than welcome to use most likley spring and summer time frames. can shoot you a message if im in the area.
Jim

Carbondale area 6 years 1 month ago #10

• Uta
  • Fresh Breeze
Hi Breann,
I am windsurfing mainly on Creve Coeur lake. There I saw a young man with a blowup windsurfer crossover SUP. I was really impressed with his set up. You might want to do a road trip on a really good weekend if you don't find help in your local area.

Carbondale area 4 years 11 months ago #11

Stick with Chris.Plenty of gear available for cheap.If you are ever in Chicago I will give you free lessons.
Bob Bechstein-US Sailing certified instructor.

Carbondale area 4 years 11 months ago #12

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
If you can make it up to Clinton sometime I’ll loan you some gear so you can get some rides. I’m recovering from ankle surgery so I will be easing my way back into it as I give my son instruction. I Will try to help you figure out what gear best suits your needs as well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds