Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Wave riding and tri fin tips

Wave riding and tri fin tips 6 years 5 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I would appreciate some input on what tri fin setups you guys are using , how do you position them and for what kind of conditions. Also why I can’t make a top FRONT SIDE turn without stalling the board?
I have a 20 MFC TF and 22 MFC AR center fins and 1 set of 11 TF and 1 set of 11 G10 side fins. For clarification the TF are softer then the G 10 fins. Right now I’m leaning towards mixed combinations . I used the all TF set yesterday at MC in my 94 Kode Freewave and I positioned the center fin too close to the sides. In perfect conditions this setup of 3 soft fins position close together will feel awesome-turny and loose-but in the strong current and messy waves it lacked drive and traction.

Wave riding and tri fin tips 6 years 5 months ago #2

• David T
  • High Wind
Its not your fins, its your weight on the board and mast pressure. Front side turns are rail pressure, not tail pressure. Sounds like you are stalling the board out with too much back foot pressure.

Wave riding and tri fin tips 6 years 5 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
You are right I need to project forward after the bottom turn, like MB is doing in the video.

Wave riding and tri fin tips 6 years 5 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Actually the forward projection has to start BEFORE the bottom turn together with the back hand sliding way down the boom.
91809127-D901-497B-8D46-DEA519921962.png

Wave riding and tri fin tips 6 years 5 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I believe I’ve figured out exactly what’s ailing me, which is basically everything :( It starts with my premature bottom turn, I turn at the bottom of the wave, or maybe even before that at which point Im still facing downhill. If I lean here forward like when doing a carve jibe, the nose of my flat rockered board will digg in and Ill go over the handlebars /like it happened the first time at Greenwood/. Instead I’m leaning backwards like in a flair jibe and turn over my back foot. The turn is tight and safe but it kills my speed and I just stall completely on my way up after that. Once with my big Windsup I got pushed backwards sliding down the wave in a very comic way, but on the 94l board I usually just sink and drop down with the rig on top of me.
So I guess that the right thing to do is to have patience and to turn after I overrun the wave a little bit, which will be probably at the base of the one in front /with the short intervals they have on the lake/. This will be the moment when the side fin will come really in play preventing the tail from spinning out in the sharp turn. My hips should lean deep inside the turn and my hand should slide far down on the boom and open the sail wide. I can even try a lay down here if I feel confident enough. Easier said then done all this , but at least now I know what I’m supposed to do.
That BACK SIDE top turn sail lay down looks awesome too in Peter Harts video! I’m glad Ive digged it out on YouTube, it makes back side riding way more exciting :woohoo:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds