Friday, April 19, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Windsup-light wind fun for everyone

The Windsup-light wind fun for everyone 8 years 7 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
My latest videos, hot from Lake Andrea:
Heli Tack

Upwind 360

Backwind Jibe

Push Tack

Reverse Duck Jibe

Light wind freestyle moves 8 years 7 months ago #2

Wow, Ady, nicely done!

Light wind freestyle moves 8 years 7 months ago #3

Nice! You make it look easy (maybe it's the hat!), but I can see tons of concentration on balance, foot and sail position.

Light wind freestyle moves 5 years 9 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
A nice heli tacking instruction video /mute the sound if you like/ that demonstrates the learning/practicing capabilities of the inflatable WINDSUPs

Light wind freestyle moves 5 years 8 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
9AFC52E8-780B-4130-B3B4-119AB61AC4D6.jpeg

3234EB04-31DE-46B2-909A-FFF6E2C5D270.jpeg

67CA0149-AAD0-46D1-A7D2-752F8BE5BD58.jpeg

The only other windsurfer that I know to like “float and ride” type of sailing ,which is basically surfing with a sail in light wind without planing mostly, is Chris in Evanston. I wonder are we any different then most? Maybe more laid back or something? I don’t know, but I haven’t seen anybody else doing it and I think you guys are missing that fun part of our sport. The surfing in the windsurfing in other words. The easiest way is to use a wave type windsup, but a big “wavish” board will do the job too. I always use my 5.7 wave sail and a tri fin configuration . Many times I get carried away trying to do just one more wave turn before jibing out and I hit the shallow so having small fins is imperative. I usually jibe on the inside for faster and more secure turning and I helly tack or fast tack on the outside for keeping upwind ground. But I also like to alternate when possible including duck jibing. Of course Lake Michigan is no ocean so no glassy waves rolling unbroken all the way to shore with 11 seconds intervals between them, ours are short, disintegrate fast and have no more then 4 seconds intervals which makes riding them a lot more physical. On top of everything ours also lack power so more effort is needed to catch one -stepping forward, pushing down on the boom - and then disappear before even making one bottom and top turns, but then another one comes right behind and I slow down a bit catch it and sometimes I’m able to do 2 and even 3 turns before reaching the shallow.
Try it sometimes, you may get a beating or two or three, but the more you do it the better you’ll get of not falling and getting washed out and at some point you may find it to be more fun, better exercise and better skill practice then blasting back and forth or shlogging with a big heavy sail when the wind is light.
And couple of articles on the topic:
issuu.com/arcwindltdpublishing/docs/harty321novdec
www.windsurf.co.uk/jem-hall-surfvive-float-and-ride/

Light wind freestyle and wave riding 5 years 8 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
46C5B13E-98F3-487B-A1CA-9C4A26B69F2C.jpeg

A good wave riding sup/windsup for our conditions. The 9’4” is a great size.
www.oceanairsports.com/2018-Fanatic-Allw...ght-p/13700-1102.htm

013BBDDB-1BCC-458B-BB9E-CCBC4DEC9455.jpeg

The Exocet might be even better with a proper mast track, footstrap options and planing bottom shape.
www.loopeewindsurfing.com/Exocet-Windsup...t-windsup-92-102.htm

Light wind freestyle and wave riding 5 years 8 months ago #7

Nicely done Ady. I’d root for both approaches actually: Lightwind maneuvers and blasting in and out - just because they both provide different sensations! A few weeks ago, while “waiting” for the SE thermal to kick in, I was doing just that: low speed duck jibes, tacks, clew first, 360... fell in the water many times but I certainly learned a few things. I was on my big Lightwind board with the 5.7 Revo and it was fun moving around and practicing balance, etc.
So, no question, Lightwind moves near the beach is fun too!

Light wind freestyle and wave riding 5 years 8 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
472FAFBE-1167-4180-8B70-491B8F18851F.jpeg

1A4DE017-6996-4DA8-BDC4-D5AFCAB716D7.jpeg

Went to Beverly Shores, IN with my wife yesterday for a day at the beach. There wasn’t any wind, but some knee high waves were rolling in including sets with waist hight once in a while. I couldn’t catch more then 3 or 4 with my paddle board-with it’s 9’ length and wave rocker it doesn’t have enough glide and most of the waves were too small to push it with my weight on top, but regardless it beats for me any other typical beach activity and it is an excellent workout. I can’t recommend it enough as a physical exercise of the whole body. If you paddle the right way and energetically it would be one of the best and healthiest workouts money can get. Me and my wife are starting to warm up to the idea of buying a bigger inflatable one , like the Starboard Whopper. It looks perfect for this kind of conditions.
isthmussailboards.com/2018-starboard-win...-inflatable-zen.html
For somebody paddling exclusively on flat-water lakes and rivers a longer and less wide board would be more appropriate since they have a better glide which means more speed.
isthmussailboards.com/2018-starboard-win...-inflatable-zen.html

Light wind freestyle and wave riding 5 years 8 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The Sea Lion from AHD is cool. The XL size 9’/30”/150L is big enough for our conditions and has a removable center fin for teaching kids etc.
www.sealion-concept.com/

E34DE076-C73E-4E5D-B631-9EE924AC7AC7.jpeg

Light wind freestyle and wave riding 5 years 8 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I had a great day with my family at Lake Andrea yesterday. As usual I had my windsup and 5.7 sail with me and did a short but very intense light wind freestyle session right in front of my wife so she never felt abandoned and even our dog seemed to enjoy it and her eyes were fallowing me the whole time. I practised backwinded tack, push tack, helli tack, upwind 360, duck jibe and switch stance backwind jibe besides the regular stuff. Awesome practice, workout and family beach toy in one.
I came across another great pick : the Glide from Quatro. I wish it had a mast track instead of insert.
quatrosup.com/production/stand-up-paddling/boards/glide-ast/
8C7DA4C1-ACBE-4134-82CD-77DF1114ED90.jpeg

Light wind freestyle and wave riding 5 years 8 months ago #11

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Typical light wind day at Lake Andrea WI.
Wife having fun on my Windsup :
BE46B1AA-8DDD-49E7-8A8E-B1F412909212.jpeg

Dog having fun on my Windsup /kinda/:
46F22F87-1CBC-46F1-949E-0203368342E6.jpeg

I’m having fun on my Windsup:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds